Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SP2 Install problem - Looking for a fix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP2 Install problem - Looking for a fix...

Having trouble installing SP2 on XP home edition HP. I am getting the message "can not read from or write to database" about 50% through the install. Any Ideas? I have disabled security and antivirus as well as trying to install in safe mode - get the same message each time

Re: SP2 Install problem - Looking for a fix...

Just throwing out some ideas ... have you done a recent scan for viruses, trojans, and spyware? Is there enough free hard drive space? Have you defragmented the drive recently? Do you have a screensaver trying to start up? On a side note I discovered that BootXp doesn't play at all well with SP2 today.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Yes - 100+ gigs free, 512Mb ram, P4, HT, 3Ghz system. Run Ad Aware and spybot S&D at least once a week, have also run Trend housecall. Have Norton internet security running w/auto update and do manual updates - running on DSL with a D-Link router between modem and pc... Weird - everything looks good.. - it just hangs up like there is a file/database lock.

Comment

Have you tried checking the disk for errors?

Start Menu, Run, type in: chkdsk c: /f

Where c: is the drive XP is installed on

you may or may not have to reboot your PC for it to run, but it will tell you if you have to run it at startup.

Comment

I had a workstation that had this problem yesterday it was running the IIS webserver, well Personal Webserver.. anyway either stop the IIS service then try the install of SP2 again or try installing SP2 from safe mode..

Comment

If you have a brand name computer ( HP, Compaq, Dell, etc. ) check their website for any patches or updates that they may have posted to be installed before the installation of SP2. Another approach is to disable all services except cryptographic from msnconfig, and then install. Cryptographic service is needed for Windows to verify the integrity of the service pack.

Comment

yeah, and at the risk of confusing the issue, enabling all services (plus 'starting' them and 'autoing' them too) can work wonders with SP2 issues. at least with a bunch of XPPro boxes I look after anyway, GL ;]

Comment

Working...
              X