WinXP SP2 and Bootvis prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP SP2 and Bootvis prob

Why doesn't Bootvis work on my pc? It worked before I updated to SP2, but now, when I run /Trace/Next boot + driver delays/, when I reboot Windows stops loading when the Win XP boot thing starts
    (with the meter under it).

Re: WinXP SP2 and Bootvis prob

Bootvis is no longer on MSs site so it is most likely not supported

Comment

Damn, I haven't got SP2 yet, but I know that bootvis makes your computer boot WAY faster.

Comment

I actually never noticed a difference in boot time. I do not know why as everyone else has, but I don't use it and there is no reaqson not to get SP2. IT has alot of new security updates and should be intstalled on your PC. Just make sure your PC is clean of viruses and spyware before installing SP2 as most of the problems I see related to SP2 are a result of spyware and/or viruses.

Comment

IMO Bootvis helps quite a bit with boot time and SP2 hurts quite a bit in that area (until you "fix" its changes to services.msc, that is). I advise pretty much anyone who is confident about their abilities regarding PC security that has a hardware firewall to simply wait for SP2. ATM, it doesn't add much besides some security features that are useless if you know what your doing (and the exploit fixes can be downloaded seperately).

Comment

Even if you do know what you are doing it is still important to stay up to date...

Comment

But I don't need what it offers, so whats the point? I have already modded my SP1 as far as it can be modded, have no security problems currently, and boot almost instantly with Bootvis. Whats the point of doing all the modding all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by KoolDrew
                Even if you do know what you are doing it is still important to stay up to date...
                Like I said, there isn't. You can still keep up to date with updates, but many of them aren't important if you know what you're doing and are behind a firewall. SP2 in and of itself offers very little if you can maintain a computer without problem, and even if you can't, there are viable alternatives using software that work just as well, and, in some cases, better.

Comment

Originally posted by joedemagio
                  But I don't need what it offers, so whats the point? I have already modded my SP1 as far as it can be modded, have no security problems currently, and boot almost instantly with Bootvis. Whats the point of doing all the modding all over again?
                  All you have to do is disable some services... There is nothing else to do really. Everything else stays the same

Comment

Working...
                  X