Can't get clean install working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get clean install working

Trying to fix a computer for a friend. She has an HP Pavilion 512n. 1.4Ghz Celeron, 128MB SDRAM, 60Gb Maxtor HDD, WinXP Home, system worked fine until virus fragged the registry. Someone else got rid of virus, computer was still acting crazy. You would click an icon on desktop, nothing would happen, it would try to launch anti-virus program (eventhough icon was for another program) or Windows would lock up. He suggested clean install of WinXP, recommended me because I've already performed several format re-installs without a problem.

HDD had been partioned at the factory, backed up all important files to CD before working on it. Told WinXP setup to delete partitions and format drive. Drive now shows up as ~32 thousand MB with 8MB reserved for Windows partition data. Try to proceed through setup. Get files copied to drive, ready for first reboot. WinXP tries to start the setup process again, says another OS already on disk. Tried deleting files and reformatting again. Still setup won't go past the first reboot. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Can't get clean install working

Did u check in setup and make sure that windows 98, nt OS is set under the OS option? Can u delete all the partion and have only one partion? Did u try using a retail copy of home or pro? I think it might be the factory os is keeping certian files on ur HD which may contain the virus.
    my view on the two party system...

Comment

It sounds to me like you're simply starting the installation process and booting from the CD when setup asks you to restart... Just set the hard drive as the first boot device in the BIOS and the CD-ROM drie is second and the installation sohuld work fine, assuming that's the problem.

Comment

Yawgmoth,

Tried taking the CD out during the reboot and it says "No Operating System found." Don't think it's the boot order. But I'll give it a shot, ya never know with these proprietary builds.

Zealious,

1) doesn't give Win98 or NT as OS options,
        2) tried deleting partitions already
        3) am using retail copy of XP home SP1 (gonna download SP2 if I ever get the thing working)
        4) If that virus is still on there after using Norton's Wipe Info and doing a low level format, then it ain't ever coming off. (the dreaded Windows virus? LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Keydet96
          an HP Pavilion 512n. 1.4Ghz Celeron, 128MB SDRAM, 60Gb Maxtor HDD, WinXP Home.........HDD had been partioned at the factory, backed up all important files to CD before working on it. Told WinXP setup to delete partitions and format drive. Drive now shows up as ~32 thousand MB with 8MB reserved for Windows partition data.
          I'd suggest that you download Maxtor's latest diagnostic software from their website and get it to do a report on the drive because atm that sounds like where your problem is.

Comment

Downloaded the PowerMax Utilities from Maxtor. It said the drive was perfect. Did a low level format with it, so hopefully it will recognize the drive as the correct size now.

Comment

Working...
            X