Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Does it use that 8 mb partition for something or is it a flaw in the design?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-16-2005, 10:54 PM.

Re: Why does Windows XP partitioning leaves a 8mb unformatted partition?

Its system reserved space or something...probably partition information

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
      Its system reserved space or something...probably partition information

Is it nessasary if the O.S. is on that drive?

Comment

You could just use a disk tool like partitionmagic to recover the unused 8mb after you've installed.

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
          You could just use a disk tool like partitionmagic to recover the unused 8mb after you've installed.

I could, but I'm wondering if Win XP needs this 8mb for something. I have an older computer I'm selling to a freind and upon formatting without that 8 mb partition that Win XP leaves behind, windows would not install properly got a blue screen shortly into the Win XP install process (Twice). See the drive use to be a slave drive without an O.S. on it, so I actually didn't have that 8mb partition on it at first. I now have installed Windows but the only 2 things I change were that I repartioned using Win XP and used defualt safe settings in the bios on a Gygabyte GA-8SQ800 mainboard. I'm not sure which solved the problem but I'm leaning toward the Win XP partion with that 8 mb unformatted partition. I'm wondering if this actually serves some sort of purpose for Win XP, since it might have been the reasons for those install attempts gone wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X