Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What program works for Slipstreaming WinME?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What program works for Slipstreaming WinME?

? And make it a bootable CD.

Re: What program works for Slipstreaming WinME?

Why on Earth would you want to do that? Just get a flashing program and a random BIOS file and flash the BIOSes of computers rather than put that on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      Why on Earth would you want to do that? Just get a flashing program and a random BIOS file and flash the BIOSes of computers rather than put that on it...
      Please explain what you mean Yawgm0th, I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about. Are you talking about the boot order in the bios settings?

I was hoping that I could integrate all the Windows updates and system drivers for Win ME onto a Win ME install disc and also make the disc itself bootable instead of using a boot diskette and then updating everything manually after Win ME installs from the C.D. (It's time consuming). The program I use to do this for Win XP does not work for Win ME but it would have been nice to make an updated install disc for the person I'm reformatting the system for.

Comment

I was making a joke. Better to destroy the motherboard than install Windows ME. If you can't use XP, than stick with 98SE (or Linux).

In all seriousness, I'd imagine that updating a Win ME CD like that would be similar to doing it to a Windows XP CD, but I honestly don't know or want to.

Comment

Better to destroy the motherboard than install Windows ME.

I agree, but as I stated its not my computer and she wanted Win M.E. or Win XP not 98se and Win XP won't perform too well on a 700MHz system with 64mb system ram, so that left only 1 choice short of her buying a new system which ofcoarse I recommended from the start.

Comment

Win XP is workable on that. I've go it on a 500MHz PIII with 64MB of RAM. Just do some extensive tweaking.

Comment

Win XP is workable on that. I've go it on a 500MHz PIII with 64MB of RAM. Just do some extensive tweaking.
              I'd say some very extensive tweaking........... Yawgm0th, knowing that you hang out here and talk about higher end systems, I can't picture you using that P2 system much:).

Comment

It's basically just there in case I need it for a low-end LAN party. A lot of the LANs I host end up consisting of mainly Starcraft and CS, and that'll handle either, especially Starcraft.

As for hiigh-end systems, I can only dream. I have an Athlon XP 2400 overclocked and a 9800 Pro, with 512MB of RAM. It's aruably mid-range, at best.

About that tweaking... Bootvis, services.msc tweaking, no startup programs (no antivirus, mind you I have aboslutely no reason for it in this case), visual tweaking in System > Advanced > Performance. It's not that time-consuming once you get in the habit of doing it. I do a lot of it with most systems, but I was particularly barebones with my 500MHz and 450MHz P3s. The 450MHz is my web, file, and print server, and it's fast as hell in those respects. They also both run Folding@Home 24/7. I have Mozilla on both and when ever I use them for some reason they browse very smoothly. All you have to do is take a little extra time and even something that slow can run XP comfortably.

Comment

It's basically just there in case I need it for a low-end LAN party. A lot of the LANs I host end up consisting of mainly Starcraft and CS, and that'll handle either, especially Starcraft.

As for hiigh-end systems, I can only dream. I have an Athlon XP 2400 overclocked and a 9800 Pro, with 512MB of RAM. It's aruably mid-range, at best.
                  Starcraft....I loved that game, it was my first online addiction but I haven't played it since the turn of the century. I don't know if I could go back to it after getting use to all the new stuff though. I think I use to play Starcrft on a Acer Pentium 75 (my very first computer). I spent about $2500 for it at Montgomery Wards:(. I wish I had that money back to invest in a new system...Wow!!:), I could really go to town on it!!!!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                    Starcraft....I loved that game, it was my first online addiction but I haven't played it since the turn of the century. I don't know if I could go back to it after getting use to all the new stuff though. I think I use to play Starcrft on a Acer Pentium 75
                    That's funny... I also played it on an Acer with a Pentium, which was my first computer. I even played online over 28k dialup. IMO it's still very playable, even though it's about eight years old. There are lots of custom maps you can get online that are very fun. In fact, last time I checked, Starcraft was still the most popular online RTS. Hell, they televise tournaments in South Korea, where it's basically a national sport.

Comment

I have a 333MHz Celeron with 128MB of memory here running XP and it does fine so long as you set XP to run at best performance which isn't much slower than SE though still a bit quicker than ME (ME is a slob).

Comment

Working...
                      X