Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup office 2003 for reinstall of xp pro

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so hello to everyone. I looked around a bit but I could not find any information on here, (I know how frustrating it is to read threads over and over that ask the same questions).

Anyway,

My qestion is regarding a fresh/reinstall of winxp pro. I don't have any problems with understanding how to reformat and install xp, I've made the slipstreamed cd with sp2.

I have an oem version of office 2003. It's legal, but I can only install it once or twice. I've had to call microsoft for a new key for xp home when I ran that. I don't want to be on the phone for an hour.

Is it possible to completely reformat my hard drve, and do a fresh install of both programs. How can I back up office so I dont have to call MS?
    If there are legal issues with posting a reply to my question, or backing up office, then just inform me and I'll bite the hypothetical bullett.

Again, just to restate my question (I know I talk too much) can I back up office 2003 in any way so I don't have to call MS?

Thanks in advance

Re: backup office 2003 for reinstall of xp pro

My recommendation doesn't help much in your current situation, but it can make a difference to prepare you for the future.

After you get everything set up (yes, even the fresh install of Office AFTER activation is complete), make an image of the C:\ drive and burn it to CD. Norton Ghost is an excellent utility to perform this and it will make a perfect copy of the drive (I use it for forensic images at work).

I'll let someone else help out with your immediate problem as I use the 2000 version and it doesn't require any activation.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: backup office 2003 for reinstall of xp pro

thanks for the information, I never really thought about that. Hopefully I get an answer, or tommorow I will be dealing the devil that is MS.

I should probably start a new thread for this question, but I'm already here.

I have some scsi drives and want to run linux on those, any information about configurations will be greatly appreciated. I haven't used scsi very much, I'm assuming I will basically decide which HD to boot from in the bios.
      I am not planning on putting any other OS on the raptor (just the XP pro and office).

thanks again
      -----------------------
      I found out this from another site (sorry I forgot the link)
      actually two sites said the same thing, that these files are from the activation:

located in C:\documentsandsettings\allusers\applicationdata\m icrosoft\office\data

OPA11.BAK
      opa11.BAK

there was another possible: data.dat

It doesn't appear to be illegal to post this info. or use the files for a re-install.

any opinions on the validity of these files working for the re-install?

my setup: abit ai7 mobo
      p4 [email protected]
      1 gig. OCZ ram
      1 wd raptor 74g installed (no other HD installed)
      1 cd-rom and 1 dvd rom drive
      400 watt power supply
      M-audio delta 410 soundcard
      klipsch promedia 5.1

I found the files, there is a program, I believe tweakxppro, that will automatically find them, I think the name is wrong but I got the program from major geeks if anyone needs it.
      Last edited by jimboelrod; 06-27-2005, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X