Updating Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Operating System

I am using Windows Mellenium and it doesn't allow me to download some game sites. I would like to update my system but not pay a fortunate for new operating system. Suggestions?

Re: Updating Operating System

I would purchase XP Pro. It is pretty reliable compared to Vista (so far).

I know what you mean about the Millenium Edition. I worked for months trying to solve all its little issues. This was before I had my own computer and my Dad refused to install XP. I would gladly trade Windows 98 for ME any day.

Good Luck!

Comment

Vista is the future and it makes little sense to buy XP when it isn't gonna get any more support or useful service packs. If you have XP, there is no urgent reason to upgrade to Vista, but if you have ME, and your hardware isn't ancient, Vista is much more logical and about the same $$$.

Any way you look at it, you're spending $100+ for ANY Microsoft OS XP or Vista....
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Prefer Win XP Pro too,I used to have Win Me before it unstable and often tell me to restart and have problem with driver of many hardware but XP is more smart.

About Vista I think it's not this time

Comment

Almost anything is better than Win ME. However, you will regret buying XP or Vista if your specs are too low. I've seen XP installed on a P2 350 with 128 mb of RAM .... it runs but definitly not fast enough to use properly. Just my opinion but if you have less than a 700Mhz processor and 256 mb of RAM then Windows 98 SE is about as good of a Windows O/S upgrade as you want. XP doesn't run smooth with less than 512mb of RAM and I don't think I'd even think about Vista with less than 1GB. The only free operating systems are of the Linux variety but if you are worried about game compatibility then that is not a true option yet.
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
            but if you have ME, and your hardware isn't ancient, Vista is much more logical and about the same $$$.
            This if statement isn't quite logical. If you have ME, your hardware is ancient.

Time to upgrade your computer. XP runs okay on a 400MHz processor and 384MB of RAM once you strip it down. If you really want to upgrade and you meet these specs, I guess it's alright.

Vista runs okay on 1GB once you strip it down. Home Basic will run well on 768MB if you really strip it down. If you have less than that, don't touch it. If you don't have at least a Pentium 4 or Athlon 64, don't touch it.

Actually, if you don't have some specific need for a Vista-only application, I wouldn't touch it. There are more compelling reasons to not upgrade to Vista than there are to upgrade.

Comment

If you really want an OS that will run on your PC, go XP. XP's price has dropped and would work on your ME. Although you might want to backup your data since XP will nuke your hard drive, since you cannot "upgrade" or "lay on" an XP.

It would be nice to post your specs, so that we can see and recommend the right OS for your hardware.
              Last edited by Aguiluz; 06-26-2007, 03:32 AM. Reason: Small Fix

Comment

Working...
              X