Media center to XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media center to XP Pro

I just got a computer from a friend, intel core 2 duo, media center edition, raid1 setup, I would like to install XP Pro but while booting from installation disk I get stop screen with

0x0000007b (0xF78E2524, 0xC0000034, 0x000....... the rest are just zeros)

I've never had a problem installing any OS before but this is the first system I've had with a raid setup so I assumed that was the problem and disabled raid still get the same stop screen and havent tried anything else.

Any help willl be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Media center to XP Pro

You will need to format the disks and likely first set some things in the BIOS, turning of raid is not the only thing you do to set the system back to normal. As that error is inaccessible Boot device, which either means you need to format first, and or set some additional things in the BIOS.

Have you booted from CD to install XP? If not, that may be all you need to do

What board is it, and what Disk brand are they? Do you have a floppy drive?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-17-2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I did try just installing from disk , it will begin to load everything but once it gets to the "setup is starting windows" step is when I get the error. I'm not sure what type of motherboard it has, its a Dell dimension E520 if that helps the hard drives though are ST3160812AS 149.0Gb times 2 Which are Seagate drives, he said it didnt come with any software disks I think it was just really set up to never need to change it with the raid setup plus having norton ghost running on it, only real reason I am wanting to upgrade and reformat is because his kids used it alot and put so much junk on it that it runs slower than my other computer thats 6 years old. I searched on the dell site about how to use the recovery tool but I could never access it with anything they said to do, so I would like to now just wipe everything off and start new which is what I normally do once it gets that far using the OS disk I let it do the full format not just the quick one, just cant get that far now. Thanks again.

Oh and no floppy drive
      Last edited by lightnin79; 05-17-2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: oh and no floppy drive

Comment

Well What did you set the disks to when you turned off raid? Aside from that you will have to get a bootable CD to format the disks first then

Use Seagate Hard drive installation tool here to format to NTFS and reset the disks active, it is the bottom area, grab the bootable CD ISO (right click, save as), and read that how to burn a ISO if you do not already know, or google how to burn ISO. It is not the same as just burning data to a cd
        Hard Drive Utilities - SEAGATE & CONNOR

Comment

The 7B error is due to drivers not being loaded for the RAID controller (press F6 during the startup of the install and have your RAID drivers ready on a floppy).

Comment

He does not want raid, thats the issue. he wants to delete the raid array and install a OS and have just 2 disks

Hopefully he will get it formatted with the above, but I am not so sure he still has all the BIOS options set back for a NON raid system

Comment

Alright I did find one setting in the bios that I didnt change so I'm about to burn the ISO image and change that setting setting since it does say I will most likely have to do a reinstall once I change it so wish me luck and I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks for all the help so far!

Comment

Yes, you will have to install windows again, you wont be able to access or use anything off the raid array

Comment

alright that worked now after updating to service pack 3 for xp none of my office updates or any after that will install... just not having a whole lot of luck with this computer.. and thanks for the help with install by the way.

Comment

Dont know which office you mean so here is both, this way you dont need to do smaller separate updates

Office 2003 SP3 >>>>
                    Download details: Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Office 2007 SP1 >>>>
                    Download details: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Anytime man, Glad to be of help. Hopefully this will help ya with office as for the rest you will need to post more info about what is doing what to ya

Comment

I installed the office sp3 update via the link you gave me, seemed to work ok but asked for the installation disk because it was missing a file somehow but finished the install, now I went back to Microsoft updates and its just not installing any of them, the list of updates are

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
                      Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
                      Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
                      Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB950380)
                      Update for Office 2003 (KB907417)

It begins to initialize then quickly fails all installations, it doesn't even show these failed in the update history either though. I guess I could go and install them individually but if this isn't working properly what else might it effect that I don't know about yet, ya know. Any Ideas??

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Well you could likely go UNINSTALL the .net framework updates, then reinstall them one by one in order. I have seen this error sometimes with .net framework who knows why but MS updates trys to install them in the wrong order and it often fails

The others likely fail because they are no longer needed or updated by other updates included in SP3 and just happen to show up because you never installed them prior to SP3

Comment

Alright if you don't think that its anything potentially more serious then thats what I'll do. Again thanks for the help.

Comment

Ya, I would try to install the .net the way I said above, and not worry about the rest of the office ones.

When you go to MS update site, do you choose custom?

Comment

Working...
                            X