Vista memory problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista memory problems

I have the desktop from my signature, and a Windows Vista 32bit.
    Now, the problem is that I have 3GB of RAM, in ControlPanel-System it shows me 3GB but everywhere else I see only 2,74GB of RAM and I don't know why.

I don't have over 3GB of ram so... I don't think that my OS on 32bit is a problem. Still, after reading an article I see that is a problem with the video memory - in my case, another 2GB of RAM, which is clearly over 3,x GB of RAM which can handle an 32bit OS.

My OS is an Vista OEM 32bit, so it is not so good, because I can not change my OS with another without loosing the licence...
    Anyway, I want to be sure, so I ask you...

------

PS: In Everest I see a lot of memories...
    Physical Memory is the RAM, but what is SWAP Memory, Virtual Memory and Paging File? I personaly know that is one and the same... but it isn't.

Thank You! I hope that you can help me!
    Attached Files
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
    Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
    Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
    My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Re: Vista memory problems

If you write in english, maybe... Maybe you can help me.
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
    Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
    Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
    My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Comment

You have 2.83GB usable System memory from your 3GB sticks. If you want to use all 3GB you will need either a x64 system or a smaller video card.

Vista's "Swap" Space is your Total Physical Memory + your Page File. Your Page file is a place/file on your hard drive that the system uses as memory to store certain things.

Virtual Memory would be your Physical Memory x2 + Page File, or Swap Space + Physical Memory. I know all very confusing in Vista, I think not needed as well. All you really need is your ram and a page file.

Here is how mine looks for your reference >>

Comment

It's not 2.83GB, but close. Anyway, are you sure that an OS with 64bit will resolve that? Smaller video card, I don't think that I will change, the OS is OEM, with licence, I don't know what to do... Maybe for a while I will let it like this. But I want to know for sure what is the cause for me, and for future - when I will try to resolve that.

Thank you for all of the informations! :)

Comment

Sorry, I meant 2.813GB.

Yes, for sure though a x64 system will allow you to have 24GB (Limited only by the chipset). As you can see above I have 6GB using an x64 system, I can post images of 12GB installed if you like just let me know. And yes in case you wondered, your video card memory would not matter at all when you use x64.

If you are still unsure and maybe do not trust my advice you can install a dual boot of Windows 7 x64 and try it out yourself if you like. It is free until July 2010 anyway so you can use it as normal until then, by then you would have saved enough to purchase it anyway >>>

Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program

Comment

OK. I trust you, ofcourse. And I will try to install another 64bit OS soon.
            I hope that everything will be fine, but that is for a test, because I can't stay with an OS without licence (or trial), when I have my licence for Vista already.

Anyway, I was thinking that one component from my desktop reserved some memory, I don't know, that's why I ask for some help. But it seams to be the Os, because it have only 32bit.

Thank you, and sorry for my english, I know that it's not perfect. :P

Comment

Well you can purchase a upgrade to Windows 7 for $50 now if you like >>>
              [SuperSite] Clean install with Windows 7 Upgrade media - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

That article shows how to buy a x64 upgrade disk/key and use the media to perform a clean install instead of an upgrade, which would allow you to do the move from x86 to x64 without issues.

You can buy from here if you decide to do so
              Windows 7 - Buy and download from Microsoft Store

Ya, it is just all because of your x86 system is all, once you go x64 you won't have any issues with your OS Seeing all of your memory

Your English seemed fine, I was not even aware that it was not your native language.

Comment

Working...
              X