Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constant Blank Screen

Hey all.
    Here is some background in case its needed. Had an Asus board....kept crapping out on me. Bought a Gigabyte board. Everything has been running ok. I did not reformat or re-install XP yet.
    Now, when I leave my PC say for the night and wake up in the morning to check email or whatever, the screen is blank and the green light on the monitor blinks.
    This also ocurrs periodically throughout the day and I have to restart almost 5 times a day!
    So, it's running. No standby mode is on, no power saving mode is on. Temps are great. I even turned off screen saver and set it to never turn off the monitor.
    Any ideas why my pc stays on with no issue, but like makes the monitor go to sleep or something?
    I have not tried to bios update yet either.

Thanks all
    Bill
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R/UD3
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W

250g Seagate 7500 rpm Sata
    250g Seagate 7500 rpm Sata (storage)
    ATI HD4870

Corsair Dominator WIN2X4096-8500C5D

Logitech Laser mouse/wireless keyboard
    Logitech 2.1 speakers
    Viewsonic 19" LCD
    Coolmax 600 PWS

Re: Constant Blank Screen

The first thing I would do is to highly recommend a complete reinstall of the OS; especially if your two motherboards don't use identical chipsets. As to your problem, it sounds like your system is going into hibernation mode and isn't capable of getting back out of it again. This is a rather common problem in XP and can be the fault of either the OS or the hard drive (some don't like hibernation and can even be physically damaged by it).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
      The first thing I would do is to highly recommend a complete reinstall of the OS; especially if your two motherboards don't use identical chipsets. As to your problem, it sounds like your system is going into hibernation mode and isn't capable of getting back out of it again. This is a rather common problem in XP and can be the fault of either the OS or the hard drive (some don't like hibernation and can even be physically damaged by it).
      I suspected that this might be the case. I appreciate your feedback here.
      I do not have my own copy of XP. When I bought my pc years ago, it was a store one and no cd came, just the license. Do I need to buy my own copy.....even though I paid for XP already?
      Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R/UD3
      Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W

250g Seagate 7500 rpm Sata
      ATI HD4870

Corsair Dominator WIN2X4096-8500C5D

Logitech Laser mouse/wireless keyboard
      Logitech 2.1 speakers
      Viewsonic 19" LCD
      Coolmax 600 PWS

Comment

As long as you have a valid license, it doesn't matter what media you use. Just make certain you are installing the same version (Home, Pro...) that you have the license for. Media is all over the place, it's the license that makes it legit.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X