BSOD on fresh install of Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD on fresh install of Windows 7

Hi, I am currently trying to install Windows 7 64 bit; however I get a BSOD (stop code: 0x5c (0x00...003000, 0x00...001, 0x00...008, 0x00...000)) after the initial "windows is loading files" screen. The 32 bit disk does exactly the same. I'm upgrading from XP which was working fine until I formatted wishing to upgrade and I've used this disk to format my drive.

I have tried exchanging the RAM sticks with those from another computer (though I know mine are good) and removing the video card, to no avail. I've also tried to install onto my second (unformatted, but with a clean partition) hard drive with the same stop code.

I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev 1.1 mother board (BIOS verison f11 which is the most up to date)

8Gb 800GHz DDR II ram (4 sticks of kingston KVR800D2N5/2G)

Geforce 8800GT

This happened when I tried to upgrade directly from XP, so I formatted in the hope that that would solve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: BSOD on fresh install of Windows 7

Is this upgrade media or full package? If it is upgrade disk you need to upgrade first, then do a second install to make it a clean full install.

Try your install with only 2GB of memory, and set the memory voltage to spec and be sure you have your BIOS SATA Settings correct for how you are installing

Comment

I hate to disagree with you Lsdmeasap (it is somewhat like arguing with a Deity) but I have successfully done a clean full install with the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade disk. I just treated it as full version and activated after installation and had no problems. See here for multiple ways to install clean versions with an upgrade disk: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp .
      Last edited by PrairieDawg; 06-14-2010, 01:02 AM.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

You are not disagreeing with me, you just misunderstood what I said is all :)

I know you can do a full install with upgrade media, that is what I suggested above. Do the upgrade then install again, and ya I knew there is a few ways too.

I was just commenting to him one way since he did mention upgrade.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

I've never changed the RAM voltage, but would like to check it anyway. How do I do this?

My computer has worked fine for several years under XP before and I've never changed any overclock settings or the like.

I've now tried installing win 7 on my brother computer (using my HDD) and then tying to run it from my pc, but got the same BSOD even after win 7 had been installed.

The chip is the only component I've not tried swapping out yet, will be doing that tomorrow hopefully.

It's a full install disk, and worked a treat when I installed it using my brother's pc.

My HDD is a little old school and is IDE, my dvd drive is however SATA. How do I check that the SATA settings are right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for what you've already told me. I'll update when I've tried another chip to see if that changes anything.

Thanks,

David

Comment

You can check your ram voltage on the bios
            also you can check the ram timing and speed, sometimes if you have new ram on the 'old' motherboard its not correctly set by default

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I gave in and took it to the local computer shop and they couldn't get it to work either. My dad has the same board but rev 1 instead of rev 1.1, I switched everything over and then it wouldn't work with all his components either! In the end I just bought a new board and now everything works perfectly again :)

Thanks for everything,

David

Comment

Sorry to hear you had to buy a new board!

At least you now have a working system though, so that is good!

Comment

Working...
                X