Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope everything worked out - Tracker

Comment

Well guess what my drive just crashed.Downloaded a nasty bit o software that xp did not like at all.My operating system corrupted and f8 safe mode wouldnt work.Changed slave drive that I have installed to master and still could not even see drive.

Tried several ways to get the drive recognized but had no luck.The drives I'm using are Seagate and I had a Seagate program called Diskwizard already loaded on the slave drive so I used this to start an install on the drive that was corrupted as if it were a new drive that I was installing.

Diskwizard recognized the drive and at the moment that it was going to start formatting the drive I as you might say pulled out,cancelled Diskwizard.

I then used Norton to check and repair the drive and then put the drive back as my master and the other drive back to slave and with a few more tweaks I'm up and on the internet again.

Comment

Originally posted by tracker
        Well guess what my drive just crashed.Downloaded a nasty bit o software that xp did not like at all.My operating system corrupted and f8 safe mode wouldnt work.
        Diskwizard recognized the drive and at the moment that it was going to start formatting the drive I as you might say pulled out,cancelled Diskwizard.

I then used Norton to check and repair the drive and then put the drive back as my master and the other drive back to slave and with a few more tweaks I'm up and on the internet again.
        If you used "CHKDSK /F" - it might have had the same RESCUE result as Norton. Microsoft's CHKDSK can be run from a bootup floppy disk.

Also usefule on this RESCUE BOOTUP FLOPPY DISK is "FDISK.EXE". Then you might also need to run from the floppy disk:

"FDISK /MBR".

Finally, if that all fails, try the rescue from the XP CDROM. Lucky you had NORTON this time, but next time?

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal

- Separate partitions with different formatting results in the NTFS partition seeing the FAT32 one, but not vice versa.
          WTF? You don't actually believe a partition "sees" anything?
          Besides, I disagree.: FAT32 and NTFS (-and EXT2,reiserFS, EXT3,HPFS,etc..,etc...) can very well be mixed in the partitiontable without causing any problems for the user. One partition dont "care" of what filesystem the other one are of, as long as the OS who should read data from them can do so. Also FAT32 is not slower than NTFS, thats dead-wrong! FAT32 is a simpler filesystem (without user permission) and indexing services, which generally increases the actual performance of the partition -in means of copying data.

I'm currently running FAT32,NTFS,Ext2 and reiserFS at home.

PS: I agree about the boot-time of XP though, it booted (relatively) slow(ly) after I created 3 new partitions. (stupid if you ask me)

Comment

EDIT by Beefy: Post removed due to lack of relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by zhark
              WTF? You don't actually believe a partition "sees" anything?
              Besides, I disagree.: FAT32 and NTFS (-and EXT2,reiserFS, EXT3,HPFS,etc..,etc...) can very well be mixed in the partitiontable without causing any problems for the user. One partition dont "care" of what filesystem the other one are of, as long as the OS who should read data from them can do so. Also FAT32 is not slower than NTFS, thats dead-wrong! FAT32 is a simpler filesystem (without user permission) and indexing services, which generally increases the actual performance of the partition -in means of copying data.
              I think what Persian was getting at is the fact that not all FAT32 based operating systems (Windows 9x, etc) can see / use a NTFS file system.

Also, there is not that much speed difference between a FAT32 drive and an NTFS drive. There is a difference, but it's small enough to be dismissed. In larger drives, however, NTFS is a much more efficient way of file allocation. FAT32 just isn't up to it

Finally, there is no need for posts such as the one above this, hence it was removed. Keep flippant remarks to yourself / the Beer Garden

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy

I think what Persian was getting at is the fact that not all FAT32 based operating systems (Windows 9x, etc) can see / use a NTFS file system.

Finally, there is no need for posts such as the one above this, hence it was removed. Keep flippant remarks to yourself / the Beer Garden
                1. No he didn't, because he said that the NTFS could "see" the
                FAT32 filesystem, but not the other way around. If he put it the way you are suggesting it would have actually been an argument for using FAT32 instead of NTFS. The more OS'es that can interpret a filesystem the merrier, right?

2. I reserve myself the right to speak these kind of "flippant remarks", check the constitution. (I'll remember to leave out the "WTF" next time though, sorry.)

FAT32 is lousy at handling large partitions, i know.

-M.

Comment

My point was, with all the advantages of NTFS, I cannot understand why someone with WinXP would choose FAT32. There are no compatibility issues (if there ever were any serious ones they're gone now). FAT32 and NTFS are very similar in speed for the average 20GB+ hard drive.

And most importantly NTFS is much more stable, secure and feature-laden that anyone who kids themselves into thinking they're getting a massive performance boost by running FAT32 is being a little naive.

I assume you'd want 2 partitions, one with FAT32, one with NTFS if you wanted to run 2 different OS's. In which case the non-WinXP OS (like Win9X/ME) will NOT be able to "see" the NTFS partition data.

I can't see how this has developed into a flame war. A lot of it is simply personal preference.
                  My Machine

Comment

I use a 5 gig part. for win XP C:\SYS_WIN_XP (ntfs) 15gigs for D:\PROGRAMS_XP (ntfs) 54gigs E:\GAMES_XP (ntfs) All On 80 gig 30gigs for F:\Archive 5 & 6 gig temp storage 3gig J:\SYS_WIN_ME all FAT32 2.50gig Linux Part And 850MB LINUX XOVER FAT16 the only reason i have this setup is my progs games and files stay intact then after a Clean install i can use Bakups of c drive and registry of my last known good config and the small winxp drive forces me to keep it clean (only XP install + SP1 and all drivers)

sorry this is identical to anotther post i did but i thought it had some relevence me

Comment

Working...
                    X