Serious problem with WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious problem with WinXP

My friend tried the NVmax tweak and everything went fine until he uninstalled it. After the reboot, the WinXP loading screen appears but he gets a blank screen after that. There is the start up sound followed by an error sound. He can't tell what error, because the screen is completely blank.

I told him to press F8 and boot into Safe Mode...same blank screen. Told him to hit F8 and restore last known good config...same blank screen. F8 again with console and he told me XP stops loading on \drivers\someNVidia.dll

I suggest Recovery Console but he lost the administrator password. grrrrr

I then told him to format that POS. That didn't work. When the yellow status bar reaches 100%, it reports a failure. It said that there might be an error on the drive or misconfiguration of SCSI. He's 100% IDE and just do a complete scan disk hours before the unfortunate event without any error.
    WinXP Pro
    P4 2.4

DDR266 SDRAM
    this mb
    512 DDR266 SDRAM
    GF4 4400

I'm out of idea. Please help me help him
    Thanks in advance

My friend tried the NVmax tweak and everything went fine until he uninstalled it. After the reboot, the WinXP loading screen appears but he gets a blank screen after that. There is the start up sound followed by an error sound. He can't tell what error, because the screen is completely blank.

I told him to press F8 and boot into Safe Mode...same blank screen. Told him to hit F8 and restore last known good config...same blank screen. F8 again with console and he told me XP stops loading on \drivers\someNVidia.dll

I suggest Recovery Console but he lost the administrator password. grrrrr

I then told him to format that POS. That didn't work. When the yellow status bar reaches 100%, it reports a failure. It said that there might be an error on the drive or misconfiguration of SCSI. He's 100% IDE and just do a complete scan disk hours before the unfortunate event without any error.
    WinXP Pro
    P4 2.4

DDR266 SDRAM
    this mb
    512 DDR266 SDRAM
    GF4 4400

I'm out of idea. Please help me help him
    Thanks in advance

Comment

If formatting through the windows setup doesn't work. Did you try deleting the partition? If that doesn't work may I suggest botting from a DOS floppy and fdisking it?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion
        He'll bring the puter to my place tomorrow. Any other suggestion on how to make it work without formating? Also where in the BIOS can I set it to boot from the CD? This is his board

Comment

Sorry guys but this has to be said ..... get rid of XP and put Win 2000 on !!!!

I hate XP :(

Comment

Looks like you're speaking alone there Homer. :)

Comment

each time i have installed XP its died on me so i gave up. 2k has never let me down

Comment

There should be a "boot sequence" selection in the bios (under the advanced section, I think). There you can set the first boot device to cd-rom. Also make sure that if there is an anti-virus setting in the bios, that is disabled while doing all of this to the machine (it protects the MBR).

Comment

Working...
                X