XP and network gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP and network gateway

OK this is very weird. I have 2 machines with Win2K and one machine on XP Pro. Now, my network is set up so that all computers connect to a hub and the hub is connected to a router. I can't access my other computer's shared files unless I have the firewall turned off on the Local Area Connection on the XP box. Once I turn off this firewall, the Internet Gateway icon comes up. When I disable the Internet Gateway, all my computers on the network are cut off from the internet. However, when I go check the IP config on all the machines, it's getting an IP from the router and using it as the gateway. Now, why the hell would this happen?? My XP box isn't functioning as the gateway. Why the hell would all my other disconnect when I disable the Internet Gateway on my XP box??? This doesn't make any sense.

Did you set up internet connection sharing on the xp box?

Comment

Nope, don't think so. When I set up my internet connection for the XP box, I selected that it would be connected to a gateway or another computer. Since I have a router, it seems to be the logical choice.

Comment

That was the right choice. I was just trying to get a handle on the problem.

Comment

Nevermind. I read the Microsoft support newsgroup and solved the problem. Admin please remove the thread, I can't deleted it for some reason.

Comment

Working...
          X