Installing XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP

Hey fellas, I recently acquired a version of Win XP and want to install it on my P4 system which currently has only 1 partition (40 GB Hard Drive). The current OS is Win Me. I would like to divide the HD into 2 20 Gb partitions with Win Me running in one and install Win Xp in the other partition. Since I'm a neophyte, I don't want to reformat the HD before doing the above since this would entail reinstalling Win Me and all my other applications in 1 partition. Is there a way to create 2 partitions without having to reformat the HD? Also how can I use the applications running in Win Me with the Win XP OS without installing them again in the Win XP partition, assuming I can get Win XP installed in the 2nd. partition. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Partition Magic 7 or 8 will do that for you. ;)

Comment

uhhm, I would backup your data and get rid of windows ME> Not worth the pain to save that travisty of an operating system. I know it will suck having to spend a lot of time backing up your data....but I think you will be happier in the long run. But if you really need to keep windows me, then I would go with the suggestion of the wiggo....part. magic. Well, whatever you decide...GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Thanx for the suggestions mates. My ultimate goal is to just have Win XP but until I install it and fool around with it for a while I'll keep Me (no matter how bad it is) as a backup OS. Thanx again. :bounce:

Comment

That's best, I started with XP by usin' it in a dual boot with SE till I became comfortable with it. ;)

Comment

that is cool. I understand that you would want to be comfortable with XP before it becomes your primary os. I think you will find that XP is very similiar to that of ME, just a lot more stable.
            The NT kernel rock0rs, have fun with it!

BTW, I would back up important data before you mess around with anything....as a precaution!@!!!

Comment

Working...
            X