Help with a damaged device driver!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a damaged device driver!!

My Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103 drive is inaccessible from my Compaq Presario running XP Home Edition. I had to recently replace the drive as the original one died.

The problem seems to be with the device driver which has a yellow exclamation mark against it and the status of the drive gives the following message:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its
    configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

I have tried all the obvious solutions (running the troubleshooter, uninstalling and re-installing the driver in safe mode, Compaq support, moving the drivers to another folder) but no success.

How can I fix the configuration information in the registry?

Thanks in advance.
    Motasim

Is the jumper on the new drive set correctly?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what device driver are you installing? Windows XP is more than capable of finding the new device and automatically loading the correct drivers for it... unless your motherboard isn't supporting the PIO mode that the new drive is working at? But even then it should automatically use the fastest speed that it supports.

The correct way to install the new device is to remove the old one from Device Manager, then remove the old drive. When you install the new drive Windows should just pick it up.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Turns out that this is a known problem caused by uninstalling Roxio Platinum. Microsoft has a knowledgebase article (Q314060) that provide instructions to fix this problem.

It basically invloves deleting a couple of registry entries.
        Motasim

Comment

Working...
        X