Scared of SP1 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared of SP1 ?

I just bought Windows XP, I haven't installed it yet but I will shortly but I've been hearing all over the place that SP1 causes things to not work like software and hardware.

Is what I've heard true? Or is it just some people who don't know how to run their systems?

On a fresh install of Windows XP, it runs like a dream. Though not very common, some people do have issues with it when they install it. If you have recently installed XP, then throw on SP1 as well. If you've been running with it for a while, then consider if you actually need SP1 or not.

Comment

I ran Win98 first edition since 1998, upgraded to XP about a year ago. Everything's running flawlessly and I'm wary of SP1 too. Should I just hang out without SP1 until I need it, or automatically install service packs? TIA!

Comment

SP1's biggest problem is when it's done on an old installation that has been well used. If this is you then leave it and just do the other patches you require then when you feel that you need a clean install you can add SP1. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Okay, that's what I'll do -- do the usual patches (making sure I need each one, or don't care if I install it) and if SP1 becomes a must then I'll do the hoop-jumping.

Thanks!
          :D

Comment

to re-install XP, is there a sort of "check list" of things to back up and where (i.e. outlook's pst's)?
            Thanks

:geek:

After some search I think I've found what I need but now I have a new question, I'm downloading the spanish version of SP1 now, for SP 2 do I have to go through the whole think of changing the serial # etc.

cheers.

Comment

The main problem is that SP1 includes EVERY hotfix that was available to download seperately from windows update at the time of its release. This INCLUDED hotfixes that MS KNOW cause problems. (Such as the burning update...it causes ****loads of problems with *real* burning packages such as nero)

SP1 needs the ability to display a list of fixes it is proposing to install, and link to the relevant MSKB articles so end users can read before they install. At least make it optional if MS want to keep their '1-click fix' thang.

Comment

Working...
              X