Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb XP question

Hi everyone :)
    I have ordered a 100 gig HD and XP home edition. I use my computer mostly for playing games and surfing the net. My question is; When I install XP, should I use two partitions of 50 gig each, or one big 100 gig partition. I plan to use NTSP, or whatever it is called.

Thank You :)

Ok here's whats up. You can format the drive in two partitions of 50 gigs, or 3 partitions (I would not recomend more, unless you really like to divide a partition for games, movies, etc.) Ok now back to the 2 partitions subject. One can be used to install Windows XP Pro or Home, whatever. And the other can be used to store all of your files. Like for instance I would install Windows XP, all of my mp3's, and my games on, lets call it partition 1. Then I would propably get into the DivX (pirating movies scene) and store all my movies on partition 2. The way I do it, is I have one big NTFS partition, cause my HDD is only 27 gigs big. I would recomend you just make one huge mother ****in partition, cause it's easier, and takes less time :P Whatever you do format ALL of the partitions into NTFS and NOT FAT32. For Windows XP filesystem, and I believe win2000 the NTFS filesystem hold significant improvements such as drive compression, fast disk indexing etc. Plus it is supposedly safer and faster. Anyway I don't even think Windows XP will let you make a FAT32 partition bigger than somewhere around 30-50 gigs. So that means you would have to split your bad boy up a lot! Like a said, if you are a Warez d00d, or some1 who does movie editing, or plays a ****LOAD of games, make the two partitions. Maybe even three. But after three it just gets retarted and there is no point in having four 25 gig partitions, unless your name is [Insert insult here...]

I hoped I helped you out, and to sum it up one big partition probably for your use, and make sure to format in the NTFS filesystem. If you have further ?'s just post!

Comment

Hi Arizona,

I'll tell you what, filesystems are almost a matter of personal preference as far as things go, but there are a few differences between the two main windows filesystems.

NTFS (NT File System):
      <ul>
      <li>Was created when Windows NT came into existance. Since then all windows NT based OS's have used them (NT, 2000, XP).
      <li>Maximum single file and volume size is 16 Exabytes (18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes). If you find a file this large, let me know. If you find something to store it.. You're a millionaire.
      <li>More secure than FAT32. You can control access permissions, and specify for folders to be private or encrypted.
      <li>Can read FAT based file systems.
      <li>Supports filenames of up to 255 characters in length.
      <li>BAD: Cannot use FAT boot disks to access your NTFS partition if there is a problem (ex: Windows 95/98/ME). Floppy disks cannot be formatted to NTFS. Basically your Windows XP cd is your boot disk.
      </ul>
      FAT32 (File Allocation Table):
      <ul>
      <li>First created with the arrival of Windows 95 OSR2.
      <li>Supports a maximum drive size of 2 Terabytes. Much smaller than NTFS. Maximum single file size is 4 GB.
      <li>Cannot read NTFS drives. If you have Windows 98 and XP installed in a dual boot environment, Windows 98 cannot see XP.
      <li>Less secure.
      <li>Windows XP cannot format a single FAT32 partition larger than 32GB during installation.
      <li>Looks pretty negative doesn't it? Well.. yeah.
      </ul>

Let's put it this way. I have two 80GB drives. Since I run Linux as well as Windows, I use a 40GB NTFS partition for my games, software, and Windows XP. For my MP3's, movies, and various files including shared files between Linux and Windows, I use an 80GB FAT32 partition. In Linux, I use a 40GB EXT3 partition (Linux only, nothing to do with Windows, but it can mount FAT32 and NTFS drives to read data).

Consider your options, and what you plan to do with your system and base your choices on that.
      Chris "Raven"
      News Crew - TweakTown
      <!--
      <font size=1>
      <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
      - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
      - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
      - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
      </font>
      // -->
      "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
        My main concern is the ability to format and re-install XP (if I ever have to) without loosing my mp3's, and other saved programs. Another issue is defragging. Right now it takes hours to defrag and I only have an 8gig drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Arizona
          Thanks for the replies!
          My main concern is the ability to format and re-install XP (if I ever have to) without loosing my mp3's, and other saved programs. Another issue is defragging. Right now it takes hours to defrag and I only have an 8gig drive.
          Windows XP has an excellent defrag utility. It uses a much different approach than the old Win95/98. While I can't say it's too much faster, it does put less of a strain on your system, and doesn't restart as much as the old defrag did. I'd assume they got smart and realized that most people wouldn't stop all their services and close all runnig non-critical programs before running defrag.

As far as saving goes, just store your extra stuff on another partition. As I said before, I've got a 40gig NTFS partition for XP that I keep all software, and games on. It's not even half full yet and I have a heck of a lot of stuff installed.

When I need to format, I just move my saves and scratch storage folders over to the 80gig drive. I personally keep all program and driver updates I download in a folder on the 80gig so when I DO reformat, it takes me maybe an hour to get everything installed again. :thumb:
          Chris "Raven"
          News Crew - TweakTown
          <!--
          <font size=1>
          <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
          - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
          - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
          - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
          </font>
          // -->
          "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

I generally go for a 10GB partition as the root drive and the remainder as a single partition following. This allows me to install the OS, any add-ons needed for web surfing and also my main productivity suite. This also leaves plenty of room for the swap file and any other programs that need to be installed on the C:\ drive (thinking of the last time I installed Neverwinter Nights... hacked up a hairball when I loaded it to the D:\ drive).

Since you only have limited programs on the root, you can format it and reinstall the OS in a minimal time. It will also greatly reduce the number of programs that need to be reloaded. I have found that most programs will work fine still as long as you use a shortcut to the main executable. The only problem I've had so far using this method is that when my Diablo2 disk tries to autoplay, it doesn't think the game is installed. But the shortcut to the executable works like a champ.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I use a 5 gig part. for win XP C:\SYS_WIN_XP (ntfs) 15gigs for D:\PROGRAMS_XP (ntfs) 54gigs E:\GAMES_XP (ntfs) All On 80 gig 30gigs for F:\Archive 5 & 6 gig temp storage 3gig J:\SYS_WIN_ME all FAT32 2.50gig Linux Part And 850MB LINUX XOVER FAT16 the only reason i have this setup is my progs games and files stay intact then after a Clean install i can use Bakups of c drive and registry of my last known good config and the small winxp drive forces me to keep it clean (only XP install + SP1 and all drivers)

Comment

Working...
              X