Max partion under XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max partion under XP

I currently am using a 80gig drive split four ways. I want to purchase a 120gig drive and set it up as a slave for downloading too.

Whats the max partition that XP can handle ?

I'm not sure if the 137GB limit still applies here or not but you'll be fine with that drive as one partition. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

As long as your use NTFS, you should be fine with whatever sizes you want. (including the single partition setup, but you will undoubetly require it to be partitioned)

FAT32 you can have any size as well, but win2k will limit you to 32gig. (not sure if xp has larger limit or not, i doubt it, as fat32 hasnt undergone any upgrades since 98). You can only store files under 4gig in size as well, so fat32 aint no good for dvd storage and the such.

Comment

I'm running a 60GB FAT32 partition in XP. Works fine.. Just to answer your query BZ.

Comment

Im looking in my Win2k admin pocket book and its telling me win2k will limit partition sizes to 32gig under fat32. Incorrect info, or a typo, who knows with MS these days? :)

I wouldnt know for sure, i rarely use fat32 these days, too wasteful. Id go with beefy on this one and assume itll work. Theres still the filesize issue, you sound like youll be downloading quite a bit, if a 100gig hdd can be purchased just for that. You may find fat32 will hamper your efforts a fair bit.

Comment

I do know that the 32GB one should've been fixed with an update to 137GB but if they have lifted that further I can't say though I do know that it was in the works. : peace2:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Win xp supports 32 bit addressing for drives which should be 2.2tb (yeh, that's terabytes). The largest drives themselves support 48 bit addressing. The limiting factor would be the bios. It must support the "big drive" standard. The limit is 137gb without "big drive" support, but many bioses can be upgraded to add support. A 120gb drive will work fine with standard LBA, which you have since you used an 80gb drive.

Comment

Thanks all. You certainly answered my ?

Comment

247G partion not visible?!

I bought new Maxtor 250G drive (7Y250P0). Usign PartionMagic8 i splited it to two disks, 2G small FAT32 for system (i will use Win2k SP3 can fit to 450MB, if you know how...) and the rest (about 247G) as NTFS data one.
                  Data grows, you know...

So, back to the topic. The bigger partion never show on my testing machine with winXP SP1.0a. I got enabled the 48bit access since the Maxtor 160G time, and I re-checked it.

...so, what's the damn problem? PM8 see it and things seems to work, however the drive did not show up...

Is there are somewhere another freaking limit or what the hell...?!
                  "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
                  "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway
                  my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
                  X