Dual Botting Xp, After A 98 Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Botting Xp, After A 98 Install

Hey, I've had to reinstall 98 after having dual booted XP and 98 (on dif partitions).

But now that 98 is installed, I've lost the dual boot menu from the start up!
    And not being able to access XP, I can't just use the config to change it. And I REALLY don't wanna go through all the **** of reinstalling XP aswell!

Can I alter XP to boot instead of 98 within the BIOS or somfin, or will I just have to obtain a menu like the default one in Linux?

When you reinstalled Win98, you overwrote certain "Must-have" files in the boot sector that WinXP placed their to handle the dual boot chores. That is why WinXP must be the last installed when you run a dual XP/9x platform. I don't know if you can just install XP over your current one or not, but if all else fails then it may be worth a shot.

You also might look into some utilities like Boot Commander which handle multiple OS booting chores. But since you scrapped some necessary files during your reinstall of 98, then I don't know if this would be of help to you or not.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

There are two things you can do and both require booting with the XP CD and either repairing the MBR or just reinstalling xp over itself. Both ways work. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'll try "Boot Commander", but as you said, I'll probably just have reinstall XP!

Alwell, Thanks.

Comment

I have a question that is kinda similair to this thread. If I wish to remove ME from a dual boot and replace it with 98SE. Can I just copy the boot.ini file to another partition and replace the one 98se installs to regain my dual boot?

Comment

if you install 98 over previously installed xp, xp will need to be fixed with FIXMBR command.

Comment

Working...
            X