No Sound Because Of Power Outage! Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sound Because Of Power Outage! Help

i'm having major problem now, my dad accidentally gave my whole house an unexpected power outage and my computer, even with a backup power thing, had shut down too slow before my backup ran out of power, and once rebooted i had noticed something really weird was wrong with my computer, until i could tell there was no sound and the only sound came from the internal sound thing, with only beeps and such, and if i check sound and audio devices, nothing is loaded and says my ac'97 codec is corrupted or something of that sort, i also have no upgraded sound card, so that is my only way of hearing music, a crappy ac'97. when i try to play music in winamp it just keeps skipping through the whole playlist, and when in wmplayer, it says "the pins are not connected" though i have no idea what that means, does anyone know how to fix this, or if there even is a fix? or if the power outage might've fried my ac'97 plz help kthx
    i REALLY NEED HELP
    running winXP

Try reinstallin' the sound driver as it's probably the driver itself that has become corrupted. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i tried that to no avail, and now i have also found out that none of my cd drives work, cd-r and dvd-rom. how could all this be caused by a sudden shutdown from a power outagE?

Comment

This is startin' to sound bad. Just in case ya suffered some creepage during the power outage just check to make sure that all the cables and cards are seated properly. If that don't help then clear the CMOS and see if that may fix ya prob with redetectin' ya drives and maybe put the sound back right. Someone else may come up with some other suggestions. ;)

Comment

This could be bad for sure, the "brown-out" period when it was operating at less than enough power can be extremely harmful to circuits. It was just such an incident that prompted me to get a UPS. I live in a rural area and constant power is not to be taken for granted, particularly after a few months of flawless electrical supply. They get you when you least expect it.

You're better off losing power than having only a %'age of power.

Best you could do is probably remove the device from device manager. Manually remove all drivers and related registry entries. Reboot and hope the device is recognized then reinstall like it was the first time.

I'm thinking backing up all the data and actually doing a clean install would be the best bet to keep corrupted data from interfering with the sound device.

If that isn't successful, it may well be toast:(
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

are you serious... this is such a hassle :snip:

Comment

Yes from what ya describin' ain't good and would be better to save anything ya can then hose Windows and reset all safe defaults in BIOS then see how ya go reinstallin' Windows from scratch. As Mr.C said, "You're better off losing power than having only a %'age of power". : peace2:

Comment

Working...
              X