any .net users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any .net users here?

anybody here using .net? what problems are you having with it?
    what do you like/dislike about it?

.NET? :eek:

I don't even want to think about M$'s plan to take control over everything and everyone. :no:

Now lets see... Lycoris, Mandrake 9.0, Slack (I might leave that one for a bit just yet), etc.. :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hmm, I'll make you a deal ---- you get me a decent internet connection, and I'll give you a real-life review on the whole shebang.

M$ had better put some investment into infrastructure if they want .Net to have a solid chance.

No sir, I'm much better off running applications off a local HDD than I am waiting for the damn app to load on dial-up.

That's just the view from the practical side though, deep down in my heart I agree 100% with what Wiggo is saying.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Ive been using it for a few days now and it takes some getting used to. its a bit different from win 2k server.

Comment

Ive got a copy of it at work, just need some time on the server to build & burn it. .NET isnt exactly for the home user Wiggo, its the much anticipated 'next step' from win2k server editions, which, as you so often say 'is a try hard os'. As a fellow system builder/tech, I dont understand why you think that is so, but anyway...each to their own....

The updates are large and sweeping. From what little time ive had to use it....well, beware linux is all i can say. :)
          What build you got lexsis?

Comment

To start with but read Bill's fineprint and .NET is intended to make it to the Home market eventually as well. Also as a fellow system builder/tech I can't understand how others can't setup and run a stable Win9x os either when it's so simple to do. :rolleyes2

Comment

Pfft, 9x doesnt know how to be stable. Wasnt built that way, cant be built that way. Ive had a 2year run of win98se rev2 and thats it. Longest 9x kernel ive ever had. Even then it had to be rebooted at least once a day.

Visit your local council/uni/tafe/govt institution- nt all the way. 9x is simply unmanagable. You cant network it, you cant administer it, and be dammed if you can afford the hours for support techs to come maintain dozens of them every few hours.

With the current hardware avail today, installing 9x on any system built to todays specs is the equivilant to installing win3.11 on a p2 233mmx. Uncannily- youd have the EXACT same problems as well.....cant network, cant administer.......

.NET isnt final yet, and i havnt compiled me a copy either, so I cant really tell whether .NET will be a suitable home Operating System. Server admins, and even your home network people are going to enjoy it. Very much so. Pity they are still going to be using bloody WPA. Prolly worth doing an irc query for the 'devils own' (or equiv) rip of .NET :D

Comment

First ya talkin' about the Home enviroment and then ya back to the Work enviroment. Ya pick ya os to suit ya enviroment and for Home uses Win9x is fine when setup right in the first place but XP has taken over here now but there are a lot of ppl out there that are very happy with 9x and do know how to set it up propperly which only takes an extra 15mins to do (my new server which runs SE hasn't been rebooted in the 5 days that it has now been in it's rightful place). ;)

Work enviroment has been NT for a long time and that's where it belonged till XP as it was (and still is in most cases) totally unsuitable for the Home enviroment. You don't saddle family n00bs with 2K do ya? :?:

Bill's policy now calls for one os for all and XP was a good first step but what the next generations will include (and Mr.C is a good example) is an os that resides outside of ya case which Home/Work can choose which applications they do or don't want to run and basically ya PC is a Client with no privacy. :eek:

Hey I'll still be installing and usin' MS's software but only where I have to because ppl out there will still want their Wintel boxes. The old rule of "certain horses for certain courses" still applies. : peace2:

Comment

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Bahamut Zer0.
                  Glad that you found an OS that works for you, must have been an awful experience of waiting so long for Windows XP to be released.

When I put together the system I have I researched each component and lovingly assembled the PC with the 9x OS in mind. The end result is a doggone stable system, when it was running UD it wasn't uncommon to go two weeks between reboots. That was 100% CPU usage, UD running as well as all the other things I do with my PC, 24/7. Granted, 14 days isn't much, but 9x does have limitations so I figured it best to reboot when system resources got under 60% or so.

Of course, many of the more modern chipsets will perform better with a more up-to-date OS, so if I were building a PC today it would be designed for a suitable OS such as XP.

In the long run though, it isn't so much what OS as it is tweaking the OS to suit the individual users needs/hardware, like Wiggo stated.

Truth is, my Windows 95 system works great, I just don't use it anymore. > that has nothing to do with the fact that M$ doesn't support it anymore though. It's just slower than this system.
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I understand that a 9x os can be tweaked etc.(Ive had to do it for years) What i question is the very reason as to why you still bother with it. Every single 'feature' is has, has been redundant for years. You can package a computer with Win2k pro for a few extra buks more than 9x. The end result is a happy customer who a) cant fudge their system at any given time and b) A customer who doesnt come back every month with new hardware complaining that it doesnt work. 9 times out of 10 its just Win9x bugs that never will get fixed. Ive lost count how many people come get 9x, then go buy a scanner/printer/camera or all of the above then have 9x go down in flames because it cant handle them.

Win2k Pro is the 'home' version of the Win2k family. Its stable, reliable and a proven solution to a vast array of scenarios, be it home/office/mobile. Goto any Dell/HP/brand-name manufacturer and see for yourself. Youll be hard pressed to find 9x bundled with any of their systems. The support costs would put them out of business!

I went from Win2k to XP Pro and was dissapointed that alot of features are either stipped down, dont work the same way, or simply dont exist anymore. So I went back.
                    Microsoft have the goods, they are just marketing it the wrong way. Too many people dont fully understand the features and benefits of their operating systems, and just go buy the latest & greatest and end up getting bit in the arse. *cough*WinME*cough*
                    Why that OS was ever made in the first place is beyond me. They should of pushed current 9x users onto Win2k, then, if feasible, those users would go onto XP. Instead, we have people still on 9x and missed out on 2k.

9x is a cancer.

Comment

I can agree with ya on MEss but sorry the rest is lame. : peace2:

Comment

I respect your opinion Bahamut Zer0, honestly, I do:thumb:

Folks who purchase a "scanner/printer/camera or all of the above" without proper research will always get what they get - the OS has nothing to do with uninformed consumers.

As to the support costs of those name-brands; I could give a rip.
                        I build, maintain, am system admin, and chief tech-support __ at absolutely no cost whatsoever to Dell, HP, Gateway, or anyone else. (I'm thinking that's not exactly the big savings/profit they have in mind though) :laugh:

I find in a nutshell, what you put into the OS is pretty much equal with what you get out of it. That's true of computing in general. I'm no whiz kid, but when I set my mind to it, and put together a set of software tools, I seem to very adequately get the job done.

Yes, there are indeed newer OS's. Seems to me to be a great deal of overhead to the M$ ones that have no true payback for myself as the user.
                        IMHO Windows 9x is looking like the last OS that Microsoft will ever sell to me - their reach has outweighed any desire I have to continue further with them. (NOTE: "desire" is key to the previous statement _ I have no need of thier excess BS - what I require is an Operating System ie. a computing environment where I can assemble and utilize software as I, the user, see fit.)

What exactly is it that I, as a user, require, that cannot be added to my Windows 9x toolbox and can only be acquired by an updated OS. To date ---- not a darn thing that I can't live without.

My computing environment has and continues to serve me very well, that makes me happy. I am equally as happy that you have been equally blessed with an OS that serves you in a like manner.
                        I'd say we both got it going on

This is starting to take on the tone of a Mac vs. PC arguement
                        No need for that, we're all on the same side here.

Be advised though, the tide is turning, you can see it all around you. Open source is going to give many of us our next OS simply because it will meet our computing requirements while at the same time, letting us be ourselves instead of the drone-user that M$ seems dedicated to turning us all into.

Set my PC free!

Comment

At least you attempted to see it from another point of view Mr. C. Wiggo comes across as the 'I installed it, it didnt boot up as fast as Win98, so win2k and its entire family are absolute ****" kinda person. No personal vendetta/offence intended, but its what I pickup. Think about the bigger picture.

.NET may or may not be the future. From the build im using, its server-related features & enhancements are outstanding. Its home counterpart...a little too tacky for my liking. The public may take to it, XP seems popular given how well it is selling.

But what it all comes down to is; 9x has out-lived its purpose. Its as simple as that. No need to flog a dead horse.

Thats all ive left to say.

Comment

No but you are readin' into what ya want to think. I've installed 2K plenty of times, on business machines where the ppl know what they're usin' and in most cases the hardware stays fairly static over the life of the PC. The home enviroment with the enormous amount of hardware variety that is targeted at it is usually in a continual upgrade cycle with the latest available software for it and this is where 2K failed badly but XP didn't. As I said before oses are like horses and the appropriate one must be chosen for the course, not only the hardware or use of it but the user as well. You don't put on a customers PC something they don't want, can't operate or would be unsuitable for them. ;)

This is one that we're just goin' to have to agree to disagree on.

Comment

LOL
                              Yes, I admit that I am truly flogging a dead horse - no doubt about it. But this pony keeps plodding along.

Sales of Windows XP do continue. I think even Microsoft would have to admit they will be hard pressed to produce an OS that can cause as much stir as the release of Windows 95 did. But look where 95 is now -- for most, it exists as a rarely used disk at the back of a shelf near the workstation. All but forgotten. Probably for the best.

I have to say that Wiggo's opinion is much more qualified than my own, in that he went so far as to actually install the XP OS.
                              The politics of XP alone was enough for me to steer clear.

I really need to dedicate more time to the offerings of open source, as I'm reasonably certain that is where my next OS will come from.
                              I'm just having a bit of trouble with some functions I feel are key to a complete change-over.
                              That can be attributed to 3 main reasons; 1.) a lack of driver support from manufacturers of some of the hardware I currently have. 2.) my lack of a high speed connection that would allow me to easily DL and evaluate various distro's of open source OS's. 3.) the incredible ease of use and compatibilty that IE provides me for my online use.

2 of those reasons can be overcome in time, but I think I'm stuck with dial-up for the forseeable future. I envy you guys in OZ for the ready-availability of open source disks you have long spoken of in the magazines there. I think in a more urban area, the same might be true here, but at the end of civilization where I live they are doggone hard to find.

ATM, a week of DL'ing is a lot of hassle for an OS sight unseen.

Comment

Working...
                              X