protecting my desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protecting my desktop

I am using WinXP and have setup 3 user accounts.
    1. Administrator - (for myself)
    2. Limited account for my son
    3. Limited account for my daughter

The Hard drive is of Fat32 type
    Is it possible to prevent access to my desktop from thier accounts?

If so, how?
    ive been told its not possible its, can someone confirm that please?

Thanks alot

as u have an administrator account u must have specified a password for your account while establishing it. did u see a check box saying "Yes, make my account private"?
    try making an account of administrator type again and look for this check box. this small step prevents access to your profile (which means the folder C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ) by any other user (even if he/she is an administrator). it will make ur desktop secure and you will be able to save files for yourself with complete security from other users on ur comp.

another way of doing it is, right click on the folder of your profile i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ". Click on properties, go to security tab and then click on "take ownership". remove all the other users that have rights on the folder except "administrator and system". it will be a secure environment untill another user with administrative capabilities log on to your machine.

i would advice the first way as it is more secure.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
      as u have an administrator account u must have specified a password for your account while establishing it. did u see a check box saying "Yes, make my account private"?
      try making an account of administrator type again and look for this check box. this small step prevents access to your profile (which means the folder C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ) by any other user (even if he/she is an administrator). it will make ur desktop secure and you will be able to save files for yourself with complete security from other users on ur comp.

another way of doing it is, right click on the folder of your profile i.e. "C:\Documents and Settings\XYZ". Click on properties, go to security tab and then click on "take ownership". remove all the other users that have rights on the folder except "administrator and system". it will be a secure environment untill another user with administrative capabilities log on to your machine.

i would advice the first way as it is more secure.
      he's running fat32 not ntfs so he won't have these options available to him unless he converts the filesystem to ntfs..

Comment

Working...
      X