Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swap file

hi,
    do i optimize my swap file for Applications or Background processes ??
    thanks

If your on Win2k/XP.....

Properties on My Computer>Performance>settings>advanced...

By default the virtual memory is configured for programs.

Comment

Read the advanced section under this page. If you have time, read the full guide.
      My Machine

Comment

i am using win2000, but how do i know whether to chose applications or background services?

Comment

background services would make it so that the processors power is equallly used for all system activity. Programs would make it so that the processors power is focused on the application at hand. IMHO I think its best for programs.

Now on memory for programs or system cache. THe programs would make it so that the memory is used for programs lol......system cache would be so that its a large system cache. Mainly for a server or whatever.

I say its best to leave them both on programs. As I have noticed actually system slow down when putting it the other way around.

Comment

how much swap space do i have to set for 512 MB ram ?

Comment

eh.......Its really up to presonal preference. I mean it really depends on what you do that would require little to know virtual memory or hundreds and hundreds of megs worth of the paging file.

I generally do 2 or 3 times the amount of my physical ram. But again its all matter of opinion.

Comment

Sentme_mail, the information in that link is equally valid for Windows 2000. Try it as suggested, including the suggested swap file size, the procedure to get your pagefile in a contiguous block etc.
                My Machine

Comment

Working...
                X