No C in the system....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No C in the system....

Ok my dad got a new disk drive and he installed it today. His old drive was a Maxtor 13GB 5400RPM drive and the new one is a Seagate 40GB 7200RPM drive. Not like it matters but I thought the more details the better. Anyway. He put the 40gigger in his pc strapped as a primary master and the 13 gigger as a primary slave. He then formatted the disk and loaded the operating system (windows xp). Ok here is the problem after the installation of the OS.......the 13 gigger shows up as C the cdrom shows up as D and the 40 gigger which he is booting off of is E. We then pulled the 13gigger from the system completely. and botted and now the cdrom is D and the 40gigger is E. There has to be a C!! Where is C? He went into administrative tools and in computer management and over to disk manegment and tried to change the drive to C but it said windows cannot allow it as it can modify the boot files or something. Anything to do short of formatting and starting fresh?

:laugh: I'd be interested in this one to as atm with one I have here does this (it's rather novel plus I understand the logic behind it) though while lookin' around I find that correctin' the prob may not be ideal from my point of view unless someone out there can guarantee me that my program associations won't be screwed. So atm I can live with it for a year or two though till the next format.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

If you have WinXP Pro, to change the drive letter assignments, go to Administrative Tools>Computer Management and click the Disk Management item. You can now reassign drive letters for all your Hard/CD/DVD ROM drives. Right click on each drive and choose "Change Drive and Letter Paths"

Not sure if you can do this in XP Home.

Also it shouldn't screw up the program associations Wiggo, but then again it's easy to "undo" this tweak, so try it out and see.
      My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
        He went into administrative tools and in computer management and over to disk manegment and tried to change the drive to C but it said windows cannot allow it as it can modify the boot files or something.
        Anything else short of formatting?

And yes this is xp pro...

Comment

Thanks PersianImmortal I'll give it a go after I've completed my move (along with Linux). :thumb:

It's just the usual Windows and its warnings of which are mostly 50/50 chance. :D
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
            Anything else short of formatting?

And yes this is xp pro...
            Uh whoops that'll teach me to read your entire post before posting :) Sorry!

If what I suggested (and what he's obviously tried) doesn't work then maybe you just might have to do the ol' reformat and reinstall :(

I just don't think there's any other way, but can anyone else confirm this?
            My Machine

Comment

Working...
            X