Browser not enabling Java ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browser not enabling Java ?

Been trying to enable java in my explorer browser and it never seems to work or register even though it's enabled. Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong. I use windows xp home edition.
    In explorer i click on tools, then internet option, next i hit the security tab then custom level button. I scroll down to scripting java applets then click on enable. Yet when i visit a site with a java chat room or even some normal applications with java it keeps telling me to enable java. Why is this not working ? Am i looking at the wrong setting ? Plz help

Your problem likely isn't enabling java applets to run on your system, but the lack of an add-on called Microsoft Virtual Machine. This is the utility that allows your browser to decode the java applets on web pages. But now for the bad news...

Java was created by Sun Microsystems. Last word I had, they were in the process of suing the crap out of Big Brother (Microsoft), so the friendly folks in Redmond have done away with the VM add-on capability in the Windows Update portion of their site. It is still supported if you already have it installed, but they don't offer it for download anymore due to the lawsuit. But now for some good news...

Just because Microsoft doesn't have it anymore doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Though I don't have a link to any download sites, I do know that they exist. Try hitting up Google for one such site or wait for some of our more Internet knowledgeable folks to show up and you'll be set. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

If im not mistaken I believe that this will be fixed by installing Service Pack 1 on your OS. If your copy of Win Xp is ilegal then take a look around in this forum and see how you install SP1.

Comment

btw ronnelin is absolutely right...but if u don't want to have sp1 get java virtual machine (JVM) from sun.com.
        here's the link...

cheers :cheers:
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Most folks already know my opinion where SP1 is concerned. It doesn't exist on any of my machines; either at home or at work. :thumbs do
          My Toys

Comment

Yep, you will have to get the VM from Sun.

Microsoft will update any existing installation of the Java VM on an XP system, but if there is no prior installation the only way MS will provide it is through SP1.
            Read it here for yourself;
            Through the power of open source, Azure, and GitHub, Microsoft empowers Java developers to build and deploy your Java app, app server, or framework faster.

Oh lovely, now we not only have software totalitarianism but tantrums as well:rolleyes:

I think once again it is time to give my Windows 98 disk a thorough cleaning & return it to it's safe, undisclosed location.

I'm thinking Darthtanion has about as much use for SP1 as I have for XP in general
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I beat ya Mr.C, after nearly 2 years I finally decide to reinstall SE on this one (Workshop) as it was just startin' to show signs of of it bein' needed. :D

I have similar views on SP1 to Darth's but I have no probs with it when installed clean along w/ XP on client's PC's though I won't do mine till they need their oses reinstalled.
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i am one of the biggest supporter of SP1 when installed from a slip streamed CD...no problems at all and tons of increased stability...
                :bounce:
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

if you don't want full SP1 and instead just want to install the JVM...here's a way out...

extract your SP1 network install in a folder. you can do it be typing this command in Run window
                  C:\XP-SP1.EXE /U /X:C:\XP-SP1

XP-SP1.exe=network install of SP1
                  XP-SP1= folder in which the install will be extracted

look for the file msjavx86.exe in the folder. this is the virtual machine file you need.
                  : peace2:
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

======================
                  =======================
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

How come Darthtanion is so hostile to SP1:?:

Comment

i m with ronnelin in this confusion part...:?:
                      so...wats up Darthtanion?
                      hey why not start a thread where people can tell their woes about SP1. lets know wat are the problems that they faced when they installed SP1 on a working install...
                      i m on it...: peace2:
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

======================
                      =======================
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Great! (not mych more to say):D :thumb:

Comment

Darth's problem with it is that it changes certain characteristics in programs that he uses frequently and can't live with the new way that M$ wants him to do the same things. ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

My problems had to do with the loss of the ability to use multiple email identities within Outlook Express. Since I don't care for the full Outlook program, this made things less than interesting for me.

I also had problems with certain security settings being changed by default and also noted that networking was a bit slower than I was accustomed to. SP1 lasted a total of about a day on my system before it was canned forever.

If and when Big Brother comes out with a newer service pack, then I'll try again, but not with the current revision that is available.

:hammer:
                            My Toys

Comment

great answers . thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X