reinstalling windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reinstalling windows

Ok all after upgrading ram, and trying to have my comp run programs that crash i have a few questions. One is that any program i run will crash back to desktop so i am assuming that this is do to a windows error. Do i need to reformat my HD to get rid of this, or can i just reinstall windows ? And if i need to reformat my HD to erase all my data how do i do this in the bios ??? thx for any help

Crashes to desktop are usually due to RAM settings not Windows. Windows doesn't crash for no reason.

Check your RAM timings and make sure that ALL your RAM sticks can support the timings set in the BIOS. Also make sure you're not overclocked too far.
    My Machine

Comment

Also check your system temps just to be sure.

:cheers:

Comment

Actually a listing of ya hardware and what version of Windows ya have may help a lot also. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hey wiggo, thought i told you to change that avacon ;) j/k. Remember me, i was the one who upgraded mr ram to 512 megs and suddenly have stability problems. With one dimm of 256 i run fine, whenever i add a 256 dimm to upgrade the amount of ram i have my comp always crashes when running a game. My mobo is the ASUSA7V KT333. Yes both dimms are pc2700. In the bios i cannot run my comp on the 4.4 setting at all. And even on 1.1 or auto my comp still crashes from time to time. I am Using windows xp home edition. specs are below. The first time i tried this upgrade i used samsung ram as the second dimm and when it didn't work i figured it was the ram so i returned it and got a crucial dimm. still no luck.

ASUS A7V KT333 mobo
          Athlon xp 1800+
          Geforce 4 Ti 4400
          512MB of PC2700 DDR ( one dimm ocp other crucial )
          WD 40gig HD 7200rpm
          400 watt ps
          fans up the arse for cooling :)

Comment

Have you considered the possibility the OCP RAM might not be playing well with others:?:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

ya, i mixed it up a bit even. everything runs ok with one dimm in it but with 2 even if the brands are not ocp it still crashes.

Comment

OK, i think i found the problem. From what i hear i Need to change my jumper settings on JP1 and JP2 to low voltage setting to fix it. Only problem is i cannot find any info in the manual on this jumper to i don't know where to move them to get this setting. Anyone know or got a pic of the low setting for the jumpers ?

Comment

Head on over to Asus then and download the latest manual as its not unheard of for a few updates to be made later to them. ;)
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                  X