Moving gif on wallpaper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving gif on wallpaper?

Is there any way to use a very small moving gif image on my desktop wallpaper? Like a program or something to make this, if so could there be any downsides by doing this :?:
    Like system instability, performance loss or something...

:cheers:

its calls "Moving Desktop" or something like that.
    i used it b4, but i wasted lots memory, and looked so ugly.

how about u just use some applications and change ur backgroud
    every 5 mins?

hope i can find it out or any 1 help u!
    :snip:

Comment

You're close, Active Desktop is the feature that must be enabled to view the .gif as an animation.

to access your Windows XP active desktop options open Control Panel / Display / Desktop tab, click Customize Desktop and select Web tab

using that should allow a .gif to appear animated, without the Active Desktop enabled you will only see the first frame.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thank you!

:cheers:

Comment

Enjoy!
          Yeah, you might take some performance hit as stated by LiOnHeArt.
          But you can certainly disable Active Desktop before you put your PC into use for anything intensive.

As far as ugly goes;
          You can import a lot of different content to the desktop using this feature. You can even create your own HTML page and use it to bring active content of your choice to your wallpaper, such as news headlines, sports scores, stocks, etc. etc.

Yes, it will be consuming some memory - but if you take the time to make the contents on the desktop usable for yourself then it may be worth the trade-off.
          It is what you make of it.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

The performance hit isn't major as long as it's not constantly updating while you're playing an online game for example.
            My Machine

Comment

I decided to make a gif wallpaper, I have my work machine running at 1600x1200 with a Wildcat 6210 Duel 2.2 Xeon w/ 4G RDRAM and the damn thing used 15% average cpu usage with spikes of 23%. I wouldn't advise it unless you're doing word and excel all day. It doesn't cut it for me doing 3DSMax.

Comment

Holy Cow! 23% CPU usage on that machine? Something must have been very wrong with the .gif and/or the machine! Good example of why not to use one though - performance hit varies from machine to machine, but unless you really want to create an extra resource hog for your machine, why bother?
                My Machine

Comment

That has pretty much been my opinion of Active Desktop since it was implemented with IE 4x.
                  It certainly does open up possibilities that a person may choose to make use of, like importing updated web content and such.
                  But a bit too demanding for just a little razzle-dazzle that one would likely tire of soon anyway.

But for certain people with particular demands, I'm sure it is a great tool. I've always chosen not to use Active Desktop as I'm a bit stingy with my system resources - a lot more than Windows is for sure:laugh:

Comment

Working...
                  X