Installing XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP

I'm waiting for my new mobo but wanted to do anything I could to build my new rig.

Can I install XP on a new, clean hd in my old Athlon system and then transfer the hd to the new rig (P4) when I build it? That way I could get the hd partitions/os install/ etc out of the way in advance.

Just getting a little impatient for the parts to arrive.

You can set up partitions and such and even copy files from an AMD system to a Intel one, but there is no way to transfer the system over without a fresh install. The motherboards communicate in an entirely different manner with the OS, so a transfer won't be feasible.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Help! I have Windows 98 installed right now and want to reformat and install Windows XP but I was told that because the Xp is a burnt cd and not the actual software package, it will not work.
      Can you tell me what I should do??

Comment

Yes - go and buy a legitimate copy :)
        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I could do that but I cannot afford it. I just went to Morpheus and dl'd a Windows XP crack for it ,should it work then ?

Comment

It may work perfectly..... it may sorta work..... it may infect your system with a trojan horse or virus..... your call
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Yeah,

be carefull with the file cracks for win XP...

I tried using a couple to get rid of the activation cause i kept having to reformat because of big errors with some software i installed and getting really annoyed at the activation..... ... well anyway some of the files on there are really clever trojans be carefull.... better to get a legit copy then mess with all of that.

Comment

There is no telling what you have, but I know of people who have been running cracked versions of XP since fairly soon after its official release and are doing fine. XP Pro seems to have more actual working cracks out there.

If you're going to reformat, I say, what do you care?

Try it for a while, see if it goes nuts. If it doesn't, then just find another version.

Comment

Just get a corperate version and you won't have to worry about all that activation crap :D

Comment

put your cd in your cd, set the bios to boot from cd rom and see if it does - if it does you should be okay, if it doesn't bad luck

:devil:
                    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Working...
                    X