• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Freezes

Seeking some assistance on this problem. My computer system is as follows:

P4/1.6 GHZ/768 MRAM
    O/S: WinXp Pro Version 2002
    Display Adapter: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64 PRO w/driver update

This is a clean install with no other programs or software installed. I get freezes on start

up, creating simple word text, surfing the web, or using windows media player. I have been

able to install all of the current updates except sp1 or sp1a. All of the hardware used is

the same from my first install which had worked for the past year with no freezes. Below is

a brief list of what I found in the event viewer:

Application:

Blue i - information source - EAPOL
    information WmDmPmSn
    information LoadPerf
    information MSDTC
    " MsiInstaller
    " WmDmPmSp
    "
    Yellow ! - warning USERENV

System:

Red X - error source: W32time
    error DHCP

Blue i - information serial
    " eventlog
    " System Control Manager
    " workstation
    " setup
    " NTService Pack
    " Q315000
    " Browser

...and the list goes on.

Any ideas???

Freezes means what? You mean it stops responding?
    It can be a driver related problem. Did you check in device manager for any device not functioning properly or any IRQ conflicts?
    When was the last time you performed a chkdsk test?
    Download a disk checking utility from your HD makers website and check your HD with it.
    Start Task-Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and look for any process taking maximum CPU usage, except "System Idle Process".
    Check your system with an updated version of a good AV system cos it can be a virus related trouble too.
    There are lots of possibilities but I think you check all the above first. Another thing I wasn't able to understand is that how come you could install all the updates when you didn't install SP1 or Sp1a. Whats that supposed to mean?
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Display stops, downloads stop, keyboard and mouse non-responsive.
      It can be a driver related problem. Did you check in device manager for any device not functioning properly or any IRQ conflicts?

No problems show in device manager.

Performed scandisk a couple of days before doing this install.

Download a disk checking utility from your HD makers website and check your HD with it.

I can do that.

Start Task-Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and look for any process taking maximum CPU usage, except "System Idle Process".

System Idle Process is the only CPU usage indicator except an occasional 01-04.

Check your system with an updated version of a good AV system cos it can be a virus related trouble too.

Nothing installed at present except XP O/S.

There are lots of possibilities but I think you check all the above first. Another thing I wasn't able to understand is that how come you could install all the updates when you didn't install SP1 or Sp1a. Whats that supposed to mean?

Haven't heard of any problems with other XP updates or critical updates. SP1 or SP1A not installed because I have read of issues with SP1. Want to resolve this freezing/stops responding before proceeding with other updates.

Thanks again for the assistance. Any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated. One more thing, not sure what this means but maybe you will, I am running in safe mode right now and no freezes for the past 25 mins +. All others attempts stopped at a few mins, 4 or so max.

Comment

Display stops, downloads stop, keyboard and mouse non-responsive.

No problems show in device manager.

Performed scandisk a couple of days before doing this install.

I can do that.

System Idle Process is the only CPU usage indicator except an occasional 01-04.

Nothing installed at present except XP O/S.

Haven't heard of any problems with other XP updates or critical updates. SP1 or SP1A not installed because I have read of issues with SP1. Want to resolve this freezing/stops responding before proceeding with other updates.

Thanks again for the assistance. Any other recommendations will be greatly appreciated. One more thing, not sure what this means but maybe you will, I am running in safe mode right now and no freezes for the past 25 mins +. All others attempts stopped at a few mins, 4 or so max.

Comment

well no freezing in safe mode could mean a driver related problem cos windows starts with least number of drivers while in safe mode and the most probable faulty driver can be your display driver.
          i would say that you try to go to your manufacturer's site and look for the latest drivers for the display adapter.
          Windows Update site might offer you new drivers too, but its never been a very trustworthy source as far as drivers are concerned.
          you can also read this M$ article.
          it deals with XP with SP1...but when you have SP1 you get the error if the display driver is faulty, while without SP1 you won't get the error and the puter will just stop responding. Read the mention regarding your problem under "More Information" in that article. I feel it relates to you.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          =======================
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Turns out to have been my sound card, typhoon theater dr-sq700. Re-installed driver and no freezes/stop responding for 2 days now. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

cheers to you that you found which driver was faulty...:cheers:
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

======================
              =======================
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
              X