Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting programs in the add/remove section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting programs in the add/remove section?

I've deleted a program yet t still shows up on the add/remove programs list how can i get rid of it. When i click it it says it can't find the program(well duh i deleted it).

do a search for that program in the registry (start>run>regedit) and remove any existence of that program and it will remove it from that list. Be careful that you don't remove an instance that belongs to another program by the same name/title or whatever...

Comment

Use RegCleaner, and under the "Uninstall Menu" tab you can both uninstall the program and also just choose to remove its entry from the Add/Remove programs list.

Also delete the program's directory under C:\Progam Files, and then use the Tools>Registry Cleanup>Do Them All function in RegCleaner to clean your registry of any registry entries for the program which may have remained after the uninstall.

That should ensure the program is completely gone for the most part.
      My Machine

Comment

Try removing that program from ADD/Remove programs by clicking on remove against its name.
        Usually when XP is not able to find the program, it asks whether it should remove it from the Add/Remove list too. From there you can click "Yes". Though using RegCleaner as explained by PI is a much better option cos it will delete all the instances of registry keys related to that particular program.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Dude, don't do a search and delete in the registry. Sure it'll find what needs to be removed. It'll most likely not find everything or it'll find stuff that you shouldn't delete.

For your issue, just navigate here:
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

Each program in the add/remove has a sub folder here that you should delete. It'll no longer show in add/remove.

Later

Comment

FA-MAS took the words right out of my mouth:thumb:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

wdn't that leave lots of unwanted entries...:?:
              i thought RegCleaner is the best thing to do to your registry.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              =======================
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Yer thanx asklepios regi cleaner did the job. I didn't have to go editing any registry files so i'm happy thanx for the help guys.:cheers:

Comment

use it regularly and it will keep your registry in top shape...:cheers:
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

======================
                  =======================
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

The registry cleaner tool in Regcleaner is very handy, but it has so much more than that. It's a great utility for registry editing if you don't want to actually get into the registry itself.:thumb:
                    My Machine

Comment

I've found that it's a brilliant program again thanx for the help lads:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                        wdn't that leave lots of unwanted entries...:?:
                        i thought RegCleaner is the best thing to do to your registry.
                        This is just the "surgical procedure" for removing those sticky entries in the Add/Remove Programs dialouge.

It can also be used as a less-than-foolproof method of preventing others from removing software by hiding the remove option from them.

I've always felt sorry for those who have to share a PC with other users:(
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
                        X