xp pro freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp pro freezing

i reformated my hard drive because the windows was freezing all the time and the memory was running at 100%, when i tried to reisntall the windows an error came up saying that the file shell32 didn't copy correctly, also with other dll files but i keep installing it, when the windows was already installed there was no more 100% memory usage but it still didn't work well, the xp cd its ok because i checked it two times, oh and by the way this started to happen when i change my amd1500xp procesor to a amd1800xp procesor
    thanks in advanced for any help

So this started when ya changed the CPU hey? I'd be checkin' ya HSF then as it may not be fitted properly and thus the lockups are likely caused by the CPU gettin' too hot (ya didn't change the mobo while ya where at it?). Another possability is the the new CPU is a Thoroughbred and ya mobo can't understand it properly but as ya told us very little in what hardware ya have it makes it very hard to say what ya prob is.
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Do a reformat and reinstall. Don't install over an existing copy of Windows. Instructions for a clean reformat/reinstall in the last section of my 2nd XP Guide
      My Machine

Comment

i did a clean install and it didn't work, during the installation process a error keep coming out saying some file didn't copy to the hard drive but giving me the option to continue and warning that if i continue windows will malfuncition

ATHLON XP 1800+
        BIOSTAR 810
        256KB RAM
        SAMSUM CDRW
        MAXTOR 8.2 GB

Comment

I don't understand that. Did you do a full REFORMAT first? If so, and then you're getting an error during the install process then it's like the CPU and/or RAM is having problems, or the XP disk is damaged!
          My Machine

Comment

I think that Wiggo is correct about it being a cpu problem. Thats what it sound like to me also. I would put the old cpu back in and see if you have the same problem yet. If its not there anymore, then you can bet that it was cpu related.
            I build a few systems now and then, (I have 7 systems of my own) and I have seen this problem before.

Comment

I'm bettin' that the BIOS of that mobo doesn't support above a Palamino core and that the upgrade CPU is a Thoroughbred which will mean a BIOS update, if available, is required for the mobo.
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i updated the bios and the problem was solved

thanks

nice site by the way:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                X