Windows Xp update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Xp update

After i installed service pack 1,thanks to tweaktown.I keep having to download the recommended XP updates.My question is can i install these without messing up the good thing i have going?But every 3 days i have to tell WIn XP to put off installing them for another 3 days,can i just install them or what?

Hi, I stated off with a new computer with the update and since then I have install all the updates and have experienced no trouble at all.

It is really up to the individual to decide if he wants them or not but as I said they have not harmed me. Peace Mal

Comment

what you are experiencing is known as "automatic update". you can turn it off quite easily.
      go to Control Panel --> system
      Click on "Automatic Updates" tab. Uncheck the check box saying "Keep my computer up to date.....".
      Click apply and the ok.
      This will switch off the Automatic Updates that WinXP is trying to tell you to download every 3 days.

it would be much better that you keep your XP install up to date with latest updates, it is good for your PC health and security. though rather than "Automatic Updates" (which is quite annoying infact), you can try downloading them directly from M$ Windows Update site.

to learn more about tweaking your XP install and getting maximum performance out of it, check From Reformat to Relax by PI. Now its sequel is out too and is quite an intersting guide to stop all those annoying things from your XP.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Hi, I thought you were worried the updates might harm your machine that is why I said I have updated mine without trouble.

Underneath the part about switching the updates off there are another 3 options. I chose to download them but only install them if I wanted to.

I know people sometimes have trouble after updating but in my opinion it is not the rule. Peace Mal

Comment

Yeah there are cases where people have experienced problems while installing Updates for windows from M$ site, but here is a good news for you.
          M$ realised this thing and now makes every update to create a retsore point before it is installed. it takes a bit of space on your HD but it is much more helpful then getting your PC crashed in remote possibilities ofcourse :hammer:
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
          X