Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "870 Extreme 3" or similar and random freeze issue

Re: "870 Extreme 3" or similar and random freeze issue

any hits? I find out leaving the option "Multiplier/Voltage change" on manual even without default values makes an improvement (I stayed overnight in bios settings page without any freezes) but memtest for example freeze the same (maybe after more time even after 5-6 hours can freeze).
    When windows is loaded usually system is stable I can easily run prime95 or a VGA stress test but sometime the system freeze (especially while playing videogames)

Comment

Registered to give my 2cents.

It could be your Corsair memory, i almost ordered CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2 GB and gave up after many people reported problems with asrock and corsair xms 1600 and buyed kingston hyper x insted.. Lots of compability problems with asrock bioses :(

Try returning the corsair and getting gskills flares or kingston hyperX

Yours is not on the list, official list of supported memory : http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/870%20Extreme3.pdf

And i have not put 8pin but 4pin and all works like a charm with ulocked to x4 core.

Hope this helped a bit.

------------------------------------------
      ASRock 880G Extreme3
      Phenom II x2 555 @ B55 x4
      Kingston HyperX Blu. 1600 2x2 Gb
      8800GT 512
      Hiper TypeR 580W
      WD 640Gb Black
      Last edited by n!Cola; 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your replay. I don't understand when you said:
        "i almost ordered CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2 GB..."
        so had you tried and did you had same issues?

"And i have not put 8pin but 4pin and all works like a charm with ulocked to x4 core."
        What means 8pin or 4pin? The connector from power supply? If yes why did you put the 4 pin? Because you don't have the 8 pin connector or you choose on purpose 4 pin connector?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Boooooo View Post
          Thanks for your replay. I don't understand when you said:
          "i almost ordered CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2 GB..."
          so had you tried and did you had same issues?

"And i have not put 8pin but 4pin and all works like a charm with ulocked to x4 core."
          What means 8pin or 4pin? The connector from power supply? If yes why did you put the 4 pin? Because you don't have the 8 pin connector or you choose on purpose 4 pin connector?

Thanks
          No i had it in my order bin, but i changed it to kingston hyperx. Lots of people orderd xms and had problems, so i changed my mind.

As for 4pin, yes i only have 4 pin psu, otherwise i would definitely connect 8pin, more juice the better especially for OC which is my next task :)
          I just buyed this new asrock mbo, cpu and memory 2 days ago, and i am very happy for now.

Good luck neighbour !

Comment

ok thanks!

Comment

The memory, you are using, seems specially designed for Core i7:

I'm running my 870 Extreme with Corsair Value Select (CMV4GX3M2A1333C9) and it's working fine, after I disabled automatic Volt settings and choosed 1,5 Volt.

Comment

oh ty I noticed too. I thought it should work the same maybe not at tight timings or frequency.
                By the way I am waiting for a try with another set of DDR maybe in few days I can give a precise answer

Comment

To give an update:

I replaced my Corsair Value Select (CMV4GX3M2A1333C9) with a Corsair CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 4 GB Kit.
                  Fits perfect to the Asrock 870 Extreme 3 and works without any problems.
                  Corsair CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 RAM Module - 4 GB 2 x 2 GB - DDR3 SDRAM - CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 - Compare Prices and Buy at PriceGrabber

Comment

Can I ask why you replace? Which were the problems?

Comment

There wasn't any problem. I just did it for a better performance. The Corsair Value Select was a PC3-1066 Kit and the Corsair Dominator is a PC3-1600 AMD Kit, especially designed for AMD Phenom II.
                      Gives me better resources for tweaking the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

Comment

I am come back just to say my issue is not absolutely related with asrock motherboard or corsair memory although intel certified can runs even at tight timings and higher frequency at 1,5v!
                        Infact I swapped my video card with an ATI Sapphire HD5450 (that doesn't need power supply but need only to be placed in the PCI-E slot) and my system pass 2 days of continuous memtest86+ so now I have to find out if is an Sapphire ATI 5770 issue or power supply issue. Or are both fine and there is an improbable asrock incompatibility with one of the previous components

Comment

Originally posted by Boooooo View Post
                          I am come back just to say my issue is not absolutely related with asrock motherboard or corsair memory although intel certified can runs even at tight timings and higher frequency at 1,5v!
                          Infact I swapped my video card with an ATI Sapphire HD5450 (that doesn't need power supply but need only to be placed in the PCI-E slot) and my system pass 2 days of continuous memtest86+ so now I have to find out if is an Sapphire ATI 5770 issue or power supply issue. Or are both fine and there is an improbable asrock incompatibility with one of the previous components
                          Dear Boooo,

Are you using Windows 7, I just assume Freezing it more likely problem with most Windows 7 issue. Some motherboard they are not works well while entering idle power state, some looks a like related with memory idle power cycle timing and it is various ram outside you can try. Just a trick in windows 7 to enable Windows Gadget and add a clock with seconds display enable, that's it then your windows 7 system will adjust the idle power state not too frequent entering into idle or take shorter time to wake a while. This trick works for me and test well in several computer running windows 7 without freeze anymore.

Have a nice try Booo and good luck..

Comment

ty for reporting your experience.
                            I think I had 2 types of freezes: one related with window 7 and resume from idle state (solved installing an Asrock Intelligent Energy Saver power profile, but I think was the same "tricking" in windows 7 power profiles) and another freeze problem absolutely hardware related (freezes could happened even resting in bios setting page).

I think it was something related with VGA.
                            I am stable now from a week after changing the PCIE slot for the VGA, but is not exact: it seems now I am stable even with the VGA in its original PCIE slot but with the case front panel HDA (High Definition Audio) connector unplugged.
                            I noticed that connector (not fully made of plastic) was very close to a metal part of the VGA (if plugged in the first slot) so I thought it could "disturb" and the trick unplug that connector or changing PCIE slot seems working

Comment

Still many thousand people out there has suffer with this windows 7 freeze problem, I found most likely problem with DDR2 and very few freeze problem with DDR3. In DDR2 board some type of BIOSTAR, AsRock but never found any freeze in MSI and ECS (even older type ECS board). DDR3 board I use AsRock 880 Extreme 3 with Patriot DDR3 1600 not Freeze, value DDR3 1333 memory such Elixir working well with Vvikoo, BIOSTAR, ECS all not freeze. Seems problem when use shorter latency in DDR2, higher latency DDR3 that seems work well. Some motherboard implement tweaking very tight with memory timing, that create freeze problem in windows 7 power management. Some 'Drag Race' motherboard like AsRock, BIOSTAR, etc and performance memory brand they compete in performance by letting very tight timing and higher memory voltage in BIOSTAR to gain more performance rather then standard basic setting such ECS therefore never found any single Freeze issue with ECS board in Windows 7.

AsRock Intelligent Energy Saver power profile only create power options profile, you can create yourself a profile in Windows 7 without AsRock utility and still same the problem is not there. Deep inside core Windows 7 power management API still buggy to adjust hardware timing properly. Windows Vista power management more worse but didn't create any freeze problem, only when use application such encoding video with WinAvi, Nero etc- Vista slow down to iddle take very long time encode if didn't move the mouse. Windows 7 power management improve much more better when using application such encoding video as said above.

Hope some days Windows 7 team can solve this freeze isue, meanwhile I still happy with enable Clock in Windows Gadget to solve this problem.

Regards

PS : I forgot, add another trick windows 7 theme which have oriented to change sequence wallpaper periodicly. The theme can download free from microsoft. The count down timer to change wallpaper operate to help windows system less time to idle..
                              Last edited by djodjon; 12-16-2010, 09:56 PM. Reason: add more trick to solve

Comment

Working...
                              X