P67 Extreme4 + r6950 no display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67 Extreme4 + r6950 no display

When I turn on the PC, I get no signal to my monitor, hear 5 beeps and see "d6" on the Dr. Debug (No Console Output Devices are found) with all the case fans blasting at full speed. The PC still boots into Windows (I can hear the Windows login sound through my speakers). Only way to get the display to work, I have to press the Clear CMOS button during or right after the beep code. At which point the computer will reboot, and it'll ask me to press f1(continue booting) or f2(enter setup/BIOS). When I continue with the boot process, it boots normally with no errors or warnings and I can play games on the max settings with no artifacts or anomalies. I can even reboot the PC, and it will still be working fine. I only encounter the problem when turning it ON.

I have also updated the BIOS to v1.64A and the primary graphics adapter is set to PCI-E, but the problem persists.

Specs:
    CPU: i7 2600K (stock 3.4GHz)
    HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (8-8-8-24; 1600MHz)
    GPU: MSI r6950 Twin Frozr II/OC
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB AALX
    MoBo: Asrock P67 Extreme4
    PSU: Corsair TX650
    Case: CoolerMaster Centurion 5

Re: P67 Extreme4 + r6950 no display

This is not the first post of this problem with Asrock p67 boards:
    Various things to try have been suggested.

However I will give u my own experiences

I purchased a b2 p67 extreme 6 in february,it worked fine.

Yday my replacement b3 board arrived:
    On initial boot up it gave the d6 dr.debug code .(keeping f2 pressed it gave a 0d code).

To cure the problem ,I tried:
    1.Disconnecting the second cpu fan and 2 pci slot exhaust fans(running on 5v) in order to give the maximum power at startup to the gx card.That didnt work.

I considered trying a different gx card (see sig),but since my system had been working before,there was no reason it shouldnt work now.

What "fixed it " for me was

(a)I removed and reseated my 460gtx(in the first pcie slot),and made sure the pcie locking tab clicked home.
    The last time ,I just moved the locking clip so that it engaged with the gx card tag as locking it fully is a pia when you want to remove the gx card .
    (b)Rechecked my 2x6 pin power connectors to the gx card and left all extra fans etc disconnected.

This time the pc posted/booted ok.
    Since then I have reloaded my 4.8ghz overclock,my gx card overclock and reconnected the extra fans and my icy dock(http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cremaxicydock/ ,I use the temp probes on the memory modules).
    Last edited by kick; 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I just tried unplugging case fans, but that didn't help. I also tried the r6950 in my other computer and it worked just fine. Specs on that computer:

PSU: Rosewill 600w
      CPU: 165 opteron @ 2.7GHz w/ stock HSF
      RAM: 2x1GB PQI (3-4-4-8 1T)
      HDD: WD Caviar Black 640 GB AALS
      Mobo: DFI LanParty UT NF4-D
      Case: Generic ATX midsize case (no brand name)

I even installed my gtx 260 on the Asrock, and that booted up fine. I really hope there's a legit fix for this. I just don't understand why the first few days my computer worked great, then one day the problem started.

Comment

Dear BondAR,

We test VGA card HD 6950 on P67 Extreme4 with BIOS P1.60, system can work without any problem.
        Below is our test configuration:
        Motherboard: P67 Extreme4
        CPU: i7-2600
        Memory: Kingston DDR3 1600 2G
        VGA card: MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5
        BIOS: P1.60

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
        1. Clear CMOS to try.
        2. Use eraser to clean the golden finger of VGA card to try.
        3. Reinstall the VGA card and check the VGA card is installed correctly.
        4. Install the VGA card to another PCIE slot to verify.

If the symptom still occur, please kindly contact your local dealer to check your system.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Working...
        X