Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Lan on 890GX Extremee3

Strange Problem:
    Every time I start the computer, the Lan show 100M. after plug-in, plug-out it turns to 1000M. I think the cable is OK since previous NF4 worked perfect. The switch is Netgear 608.

Does anyone have the clue?
    Last edited by xrzhang; 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM. Reason: wrong spelling

Re: Gigabyte Lan on 890GX Extremee3

Correct: *Gigabit* Lan

Windows? Try to set adapter's link speed to Gigabit in its properties. (For linux, use "mii-tool" or "ethtool")

Comment

Re: Gigabit Lan on 890GX Extremee3

yes, i install windows 7

I try to set to 1000M. but when booting up, it shows no connection.

Comment

Your link speed is falsely detected first and is corrected when you re-plug the cable? The initial negotiation is not correct; Then either of two sides can be blameworthy. Please plug-out your cable, reboot (till complete boot) and plug-in the cable now. See what speed it is. If 1000, problem is probably on pc side. You can do similar for the switch and see if switch makes problem.

If pc is wrong, it means that lan adapter's rom does not support gigabit, but its (windows) driver does. When you re-plug while driver is loaded, speed negotiation is done again and correct speed is established. For this case ask for a bios update to solve that.

For making more sure, use a live linux cd (does not need installation) (recent enough to support your lan chip) and inside its command prompt type:
        ethtool eth0
        or
        mii-tool eth0
        these show your link information too.
        note: If you have more than one network card, maybe also eth1, eth2,...

Comment

your reply is awesome. Thanks a lot! I will try again.

Comment

Working...
          X