ASRock H61M/U3S3 onboard graphics & PCI-e expansion issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock H61M/U3S3 onboard graphics & PCI-e expansion issues

I have struck an issue with my motherboards and VGA. My board will not recognize my PCI-e graphic card and now all I get the 'black screen of death' when the vga cable is plugged into the boards VGA port, hence I cannot do a damn thing. According to the manual there should be an option to adjust the 'onboard VGA share memory' in the bios, I did not see the option anywhere in the bios. This of course means that the 'onboard VGA share memory' has set itself to auto and this disables the VGA/D-Sub function (according to the manual) which makes the PCI-e slot more or less redundant. I have only had the board installed for one day and have put my old one back in until I can find a work around (help) for this.

Installed my old motherboard and my graphic card works fine on it, so the card is not dead.
    Everything powers up with the new board installed.
    There are no beeps
    No vga or DVI signal detected from the onboard graphics or the graphic card.
    Have tried removing the memory, swapping it around.
    Took out the cmos battery, etc, etc.
    Unplugged the hard drive, made no difference
    Cannot even see the bios screen

Tried running the pc through my television using VGA and HDMI, no luck either way, still nothing but a blank screen

Okay, I got back into my bios & pc. Have shared memory enabled and the PCI express slot is listed as the main graphic port and yet I still cannot get my system to recognize my video card/cards, have tried installing three different versions of ATI 64 bit drivers and nothing, keep
    getting messages at the end of installation about an error, problem is the report does not state what any such error/errors are.

THIS IS MY LAST UPDATE

Turns out the problem revolves around ATI 64 bit drivers not installing, which is a whole new thread.
    Last edited by johnnymiller; 06-16-2011, 02:57 AM.

Re: ASRock H61M/U3S3 onboard graphics & PCI-e expansion issues

Would you please tell me the Bios setting for disabling the onboard graphics when using a PCIe video card. Is all I have to do is set the PCIe slot as the main graphic port? Does the board automatically shut down the onboard graphics?
    I have just started building a budget system using the Asrock H61m/U3S3 motherboard, i5 2400, 2 x 2GB memory G.Skill Ripsaws X, Antec BP550 Plus PSU, EVGA Geforce GTX 560 (No TI), Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD, Asus DVD Burner, MS Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OS OEM, HP W1907 monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleRock View Post
      Would you please tell me the Bios setting for disabling the onboard graphics when using a PCIe video card. Is all I have to do is set the PCIe slot as the main graphic port? Does the board automatically shut down the onboard graphics?
      I have just started building a budget system using the Asrock H61m/U3S3 motherboard, i5 2400, 2 x 2GB memory G.Skill Ripsaws X, Antec BP550 Plus PSU, EVGA Geforce GTX 560 (No TI), Samsung HD103SJ 1TB HDD, Asus DVD Burner, MS Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OS OEM, HP W1907 monitor.
      From looking at the booklet for your board go to the Advanced settings screen....Then NorhBridge Configuation....Then Primary adapter below is pasted from your book.

Primary Graphics Adapter
      This allows you to select the boot graphic adapter priority. Confi guration
      options: [Onboard], [PCI] and [PCI Express]. The default value is [PCI Express]

From what I see just choose which you want to use for your main adapter and it should disable which ever adapter you don't want to use...As you can see the PCI Express is chosen by default.
      Hope this helps

Comment

Also look at option IGD Multi Monitor.

Comment

I finally just installed the video card and it evidently disabled the onboard graphics. Thanks for above and also help from tech support.

Comment

Enjoy bro & take care

Comment

When I run Windows 7 64bit performance information and tools it shows that the computer is using 1783 MB of shared system memory along with 1024 MB from my Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 card. Should shared system memory be present like this since I am using a PCIe card?

Edit:
              Why is there a bios setting for DVMT Mode Select and DVMT memory when using a PCIe Evga Geforce GTX560 card?

Does having DVMT memory set to maximum level help or hinder playing games in Windows 7 64 bit, i5 2400, 4 gb ram, and a Evga Geforce GTX 560?

What is the recommended setting?
              Last edited by EagleRock; 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=EagleRock;400231]When I run Windows 7 64bit performance information and tools it shows that the computer is using 1783 MB of shared system memory along with 1024 MB from my Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 card. Should shared system memory be present like this since I am using a PCIe card?

Edit:
                Why is there a bios setting for DVMT Mode Select and DVMT memory when using a PCIe Evga Geforce GTX560 card?
                Does having DVMT memory set to maximum level help or hinder playing games in Windows 7 64 bit, i5 2400, 4 gb ram, and a Evga Geforce GTX 560?
                What is the recommended setting?[/QUOTE]

I think this should answer both your qustions

Intel's Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) takes that concept further by allowing the system to dynamically allocate memory resources according to the demands of the system at any point in time. The key idea in DVMT is to improve the efficiency of the memory allocated to either system or graphics processor. The BIOS feature that controls all this is the DVMT Mode BIOS feature. It allows you to select the DVMT operating mode.
                When set to Fixed Mode , the graphics driver will reserve a fixed portion of the system memory as graphics memory. This ensures that the graphicsprocessor has a guaranteed amount of graphics memory but the downside is once allocated, this memory cannot be used by the operatingsystem even when it is not in use.
                When set to DVMT Mode, the graphics chip will dynamically allocate system memory as graphics memory, according to system and graphics requirements. The system memory is allocated as graphics memory when graphics-intensive applications are running but when the need for graphics memory drops, the allocated graphics memory can be released to the operating system for other uses.
                When set to Combo Mode , the graphics driver will allocate a fixed amount of memory as dedicated graphics memory, as well as allow more system memory to be dynamically allocated between the graphics processor and the operating system.
                It is recommended that you set this BIOS feature to DVMT Mode for maximum performance. Setting it to DVMT Mode ensures that system memory is dynamically allocated for optimal balance between graphics and systemperformance.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Concise and to-the-point explanation!

Comment

Any time pal...Glad the information helped you out

Comment

Please, tell me how you did it. I've been playing around with the options and i haven't been able to install my graphic card. Thanks ...

Originally posted by EagleRock View Post
                      I finally just installed the video card and it evidently disabled the onboard graphics. Thanks for above and also help from tech support.

Comment

Working...
                      X