Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock Z68 Extreme4 with Adaptec 6805E RAID Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme4 with Adaptec 6805E RAID Controller?

Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing an Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard but just want to get some clarification before I buy.

Is it possible to successfully run an Adaptec 6805E (PCIe x4) RAID controller in this board? I was hoping to plug it into the PCIE5 slot but the manual (page 22: ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/Z68%20Extreme4.pdf) states the following:

PCIE5 (PCIE x16 slot; Blue) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards, or used to install PCI Express graphics cards to support 3-Way CrossFireX TM function.
    Does this mean that only a video card can be plugged into any of the x16 ports? This doesn't make any sense that you can't run any card other than a video card in the x16 slots...

Would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 with Adaptec 6805E RAID Controller?

I have an AsRock Z68 Professional Fatal1ty Gen3.0 Motherboard and was looking at the Adaptec 6805 controller one up from yours that supports NAND modual for backup.
    Was about to pay for it, and found a page on the Adaptec site saying all their controllers dont support the UEFI at all (which is in most new motherboards).
    I cant belive they will continue not to support it, but from the vibe on there page it didnt look good.

Currently waiting for a reply from AsRock as to if their UEFI supports BIOS as well (I thought that UEFI was just a type of BIOS but turns out its in replacment of it).

NOTE: My motherboard they did not cripple the PCIe slots so any card can run in it. It is nearly the same as yours so unsure if they also gave your board the same proper treatment. Seen some reviews that most new generation motherboards had crippled PCIe slots that would only run graphics cards, but MSI and AsRock have some boards that dont do such things.

Let me know how you went...

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by AussieMatt; 08-18-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X