H61M-VS no POST screen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H61M-VS no POST screen!

I just put together a budget PC and I bought an ASRock H61M-VS, Intel Core i5 2400, and 2x4Gb of 1333 Patriot RAM (1.65V). (450W power supply) When I finally put it all together and hit the power button, the fans turn on and the harddrives spin up, but the monitor (onboard video) never comes out of powersave mode. I tried reseating the RAM, reseating all the power cables, reseating the CPU... nothing. Then I tried various combinations of 1 RAM stick in either slot... using both sticks of RAM... nothing. On a lark I tried no RAM at all and I did get the long beeps of a motherboard with no RAM.

So I tried more combinations and repeated some older ones and finally the thing turned on! I saw a post screen! Ok, I stick the other stick of ram in, booted up and still good! I put my ATI Radeon video card in... still good! I installed all the harddrives and DVDROM... still good. So I installed windows and was playing around with it for several hours and then turned the machine off. I just turned it on again and it's back to the non-booting state!! Ahhhh!

Ok, I just want some opinions: bad motherboard or bad ram? I just can't believe that both sticks of ram are bad so I'm leaning towards a bad motherboard. I've seen another internet sob story about this motherboard with the exact same problem... that guy "solved" his problem by using one stick of ram in a specific single slot. Didn't work for me...

i wish I had another motherboard to test the RAM in, but this is the only DDR3 mobo I've got.

Re: H61M-VS no POST screen!

Did you ever get your problem figured out? I noticed this was posted in August, 2011.

I just recently bought this Motherboard for a customer and the same ****ing thing is happening, but I don't have an extra motherboard to test the RAM in, or vise versa, I don't have extra DDR3 RAM to test in THIS motherboard.

I JUST got done RMAing the Motherboard too, so I'm assuming it's the RAM, which sucks, because now I have to do ANOTHER RMA.

I've even tried multiple combinations of the two RAM sticks in the different slots, and I'm not able to get ANYTHING. I did hook up a system speaker, and I do get the long beeps when the RAM sticks are NOT in the slots, but once they are in, I receive no beeps at all, just like the original poster.

CPU: Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge
    Motherboard: Asrock H61M-VS
    RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
    PSU: Corsair 430W Builder Series

Comment

I returned mine and bought an ASUS board from a different seller. I have always had good luck with ASUS. I bought the Asrock board on Amazon...don't remember exactly who. I hope they didn't repackage it and sell it to you.

BTW, the RAM worked just fine in the Asus motherboard.

Originally posted by jowdyboy View Post
      Did you ever get your problem figured out? I noticed this was posted in August, 2011.

I just recently bought this Motherboard for a customer and the same ****ing thing is happening, but I don't have an extra motherboard to test the RAM in, or vise versa, I don't have extra DDR3 RAM to test in THIS motherboard.

I JUST got done RMAing the Motherboard too, so I'm assuming it's the RAM, which sucks, because now I have to do ANOTHER RMA.

I've even tried multiple combinations of the two RAM sticks in the different slots, and I'm not able to get ANYTHING. I did hook up a system speaker, and I do get the long beeps when the RAM sticks are NOT in the slots, but once they are in, I receive no beeps at all, just like the original poster.

CPU: Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge
      Motherboard: Asrock H61M-VS
      RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
      PSU: Corsair 430W Builder Series

Comment

Originally posted by limefrogyank View Post
        I returned mine and bought an ASUS board from a different seller. I have always had good luck with ASUS. I bought the Asrock board on Amazon...don't remember exactly who. I hope they didn't repackage it and sell it to you.

BTW, the RAM worked just fine in the Asus motherboard.
        I have a feeling that the RAM I have is good. I've never had DOA RAM, and I've built a couple dozen PCs over the last few years. This could be my first DOA RAM, sure, but I highly doubt it's dead.

My gut is telling me this motherboard is just a piece of ****, and I should have told my customer to spend a little extra money for something that's guaranteed to work. The entire choice in this motherboard was chosen because it was cheap. I guess you get what you pay for..

This is the first build like this where I've almost pulled my hair out. I HATE the feeling of having dead equipment, and then being forced to tell my customer that he needs to wait yet ANOTHER week for a replacement to arrive.

P.S. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

By the way, do you mind me asking what kind of RAM you were using?

I posted mine in the previous comment, but I'm just wondering what type you were using. Mine is fully compatible on Asrock's compatibility list, so I know it isn't a User Error that this isn't working.
          Last edited by jowdyboy; 04-13-2012, 03:12 AM.

Comment

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Turns out, the RAM I purchased (G.SKILL F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK) isn't on Asrock's H61M-VS RAM Compatibility List: ASRock > Products > H61M-VS > Memory Support List

Sooo..I'm going to RMA this RAM and get a different set that IS on the Compatibility List (G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ). I'll update in a week when I get it.

I can't believe I made such noobish mistake..

Comment

Working...
            X