Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3

Hello all,
    I just built a new system using the above board an intel 2600k and a SSD as a boot drive. The problem I am having is that the system takes 2-3 times longer to boot then my old quad core did. Once the system is loaded it seems to runs great nice and stable and all that. But from the the time I turn the system on until I get to the windows screen is at least 3-4 min and then when I get to the log in screen it takes another 30 sec to a min before the keyboard will work. just wondering if this seems normal or if anyone else ran into this problem. Has the 1.3 bios.

System specs are:
    Asrock z68 Pro Gen 3
    Intel 2600k
    16GB Corsair Vengence @ 1866
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB SSD-Boot drive
    1.5 TB western digital balck
    EVGA 570 classified

Thanks for any help.
    James

Re: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3

Originally posted by Nwdiver View Post
    Hello all,
    I just built a new system using the above board an intel 2600k and a SSD as a boot drive. The problem I am having is that the system takes 2-3 times longer to boot then my old quad core did.

Thanks for any help.
    James
    Are you using the same SSD you used with your old quad core, or are you using a new SSD? Sounds like your problem may be related to your SSD, not the board. Can you throw another hard drive in there and install windows or some other OS to it and then test the boot time? If the problem is the board, the problem should duplicate with another drive. If not, your SSD may be the culprit.

What firmware version for your SSD is installed? Is it the latest? You may need an SSD firmware update.

A quick search on Corsair Force GT reveals many problems relating to slow boot times with those SSD's.
    Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Comment

Hi,
      This is the first SSD that I have had. Thx for the advice I will give that a look.

James

Comment

Ok, I removed the SSD from the system and re-installed windows onto the WD drive. It still does the same thing, takes forever to load it sits at the initial( The one with the picture of the guy and the options to hit the different buttons) screen for about 2 min. The mouse gets power almost as soon as I power up the system but the keyboard doesn't work(no power) for the first 1.5 min. Then after the system does finally get the log in screen for windows it takes 30-60 sec before the keyboard gets power.

Please give me some advice on what to do and if anyone has a tech support number please let me have it. I am running out of time to return this thing to Newegg.

Thanks,
        James

Comment

That sucks. What version of Windows?

Does it happen when you remove all the RAM except one stick? You may have already tried this, but try booting with one stick, then another stick, then another until you have tested all 4 individually.

It's a little over my head, but I will play around with some settings on mine and see if I can duplicate the problem on my system in an hour or so. If you don't get a solution here pretty quick, I would probably swap it out with Newegg for a new one.
          Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Comment

I played around with my system. It fully boots in about 12 seconds. That's Win 7 Ult 64 on a Crucial m4 120GB SSD. I also boot XP Pro 32 from a WD 7200rpm traditional HD and that takes about about 20-30 seconds. About the only way I can duplicate what you have, at least as far as keeping that screen with the guy's face up longer, is to change the setting in the UEFI where you can actually put in how many seconds you want that screen to show. Probably not your problem, but maybe you can boot into BIOS and check and see what time that is set to. Change it to 3 or 5 seconds or so (I set mine to 2). When you boot into BIOS it's under "BOOT", "Setup Prompt Timeout"

Few other thoughts:

-Are you using latest BIOS?

-The keyboard not working seems odd. Are you using a USB keyboard or a PS2 keyboard? Maybe a USB driver issue. Plug a PS2 keyboard in and see what happens.

-Make sure the mouse is plugged into a USB 2 port on the back. Maybe don't plug it into the Fatal1ty mouseport just yet. Plug it into the USB port next to the PS2 connector on the back.

-Reinstall the USB drivers, and the USB3 drivers, with the latest ones available. I would not install the "X-Fast USB." Uninstall it if you have it. Pretty gimmicky, and what I've read it creates problems that aren't worth the speed difference.

Comment

Working...
            X