z68 extreme3 gen3 fail to post...code 38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z68 extreme3 gen3 fail to post...code 38

Hey guys. Just got a bunch of new parts in and put it all together and I got nothing. It wont go past the code 38 which according to the manual is "post memory northbridge initialization"

New Parts
    AS Rock z68 extreme3 gen3 /a/asr
    Intel 2500k CPU
    stock intel heatsink and fan
    AMD HD6870
    8 gigs of gskill sniper ram

Old parts
    Western digital 650 gig HDD 7200 rpm Sata
    CD rom Sata
    Thermaltake Purepower 600 psu

Here is what I have done so far

1. fully installed everything and could not get to post
    2. Changed the monitor into the 2nd DVI output
    3. Changed the monitor to the on board DVI out
    4. Uninstalled the video card all togheter
    5. Reset the cmos
    6. Removed all the connectors for the case (case fans, USB, Audio, PC speaker, Case button, hdd light and power led) as well as hard drive sata cables
    7. Reseated the ram
    8. took out one ram module and tried to load with just one. Then tried the other by itself
    9. Removed the CPU fan, reseated the cpu reinstalled the hsf
    10. unplugged all connections and replugged back in

At this point all I have is the mobo, cpu, hsf and memory. There is no video card, no hdds, no case wires, no periherials.

And I still can't get it to post at all. No screen, the monitor never responds at all.

I have to think its either the PSU, CPU, Ram, or mobo. The PSU ran the old system fine so I doubt its that. The memory is new but each module was tested singularly and individually.

What do you think? I am not one to just assume I have DOA parts. I much prefer to think its user error.

Thanks

Re: z68 extreme3 gen3 fail to post...code 38

Dear jgn77,

Debug code shows "38", it maybe related to your memory.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Please insert your memory module in DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots then try again.
    2. Please unplug your memory and replug in then make sure your memory module is installed properly.
    3. Please only install a stick memory by turns to check your two stick memory are fine.
    4. If possible, please kindly change other memory for testing.

If the problem still cannot be solved, please kindly contact your local dealer to check your system.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

Hello Emily,
      Thanks for giving me that info. Upon further testing, I think DD3 A_1 and DD3 A_2 are both bad sockets.

I have tested both my 4 gig sticks in all 4 slots individually and have been able to get both sticks individually to post the in slots B_1 and B_2. Together I can get the board to post when both sticks are in B_1 and B_2. When I place either stick in A_1 or A_2, the mobo will not post and is hung up on code 38.

According to the manual, in order to run my 2 4gig sticks in dual channel mode, I need to place at least 1 stick in A_1 or A_2.

Should I assume at this point that my motherboard is defective or am I missing something.

I appreciate your help.

Comment

Another issue that has popped up is that I can not get either of my video cards to show a screen. After booting, the only way I can see anything is to plug my monitor directly into the DVI on the motherboard. I have tested both cards in my old sysyem and both work fine.

I have to assume there is something wrong with the chipset at this point if I am having multiple failures.

On another note, the board's sata connectors are responding as my hdd can be accessed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jgn77 View Post
          Another issue that has popped up is that I can not get either of my video cards to show a screen. After booting, the only way I can see anything is to plug my monitor directly into the DVI on the motherboard. I have tested both cards in my old sysyem and both work fine.

I have to assume there is something wrong with the chipset at this point if I am having multiple failures.

On another note, the board's sata connectors are responding as my hdd can be accessed.

Any help would be appreciated.
          this is due to the lucid vitru function its completely normal
          Lucidlogix virtu
          as for the ram issue most of the time you need to bump the voltage up a notch if you are gonna run 4 sticks @ beyond 1866
          other then that either you have some bent lga pins or the board is bad ..
          I am starting to reconsider buying one of these ......
          Last edited by onemoar; 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Even with the option of running Virtu, the external video card should work. I dont see anywhere in the manual where it says I have to do anything to make the PCIE video card work over the DVI output on the mobo.

Comment

Originally posted by jgn77 View Post
              Even with the option of running Virtu, the external video card should work. I dont see anywhere in the manual where it says I have to do anything to make the PCIE video card work over the DVI output on the mobo.
              try disabling vitru and setting the primary boot display to your master card (peg1 pcie1 or one of thoses)
              iirc if you have vitru enables it redirects ALL output though the igpu on the cpu rendering the outputs on your gpu inert

Comment

I got ya.
                I can certainly see how that could have reset since I did reset the CMOS several times during the Ram issue I am still having.

At this point unless I can get a solution for the Ram issue, its RMA time and probably a board switch to Asus or Gigabyte which is more familiar ground anyways so it would be a moot point regardless.

Comment

I RMAd the board back to Newegg. Going with the Gigabyte board I was leaning to from the start.

Comment

if you havent sent it out yet heres a thread
                    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1684199
                    s
                    eems asrock has issues with there lga socket provider

Comment

Working...
                    X