asrock extr3 gen3 cannot enter uefi bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock extr3 gen3 cannot enter uefi bios

This is a new build. Loaded an existing harddrive that had win7 64bit ultimate already installed from another build. The win 7 hardware had been an asrock h61m/u3s3 motherboard with a i3-2100 and 4gb of 1333Mhz memory. The new build has an i5-2500k and 2x4gb of 1600 memory. That is it, no video card only a usb mouse and ps2 keyboard.
    When i booted the new i5 build initially it refused to enter bios with either delete or f2 key. The initial display in win7 was also unusual but it looked to be loading some drivers automatically and so i eventually rebooted again successfully into win 7 with everything appearing aok. Tried another reboot to try and enter the bios and no luck, it bypast and went straight into windows. I then installed the new disc drivers that came with the extreme 3 gen 3 with no luck again and rebooted ,that being the last time I was able to enter windows.
    Tried to clear the bios (both one touch approach and by shorting the bios pins with the result that i could no longer get into windows as the system freezes with Dr Debug showing A3. If I press delete or f2 to try and get into the bios it briefly shows 09 (southbridge initialization loading) (after A3) and the code 0d which is undefined by asrock. I am now stuck.

Re: asrock extr3 gen3 cannot enter uefi bios

Its taken a day of working on this but problem now solved. The issue is really that asrock do a poor job of proving adequate explanatory debug codes. When the final code is 0d then it is like they through up their hands and said i dont know.
    The problem is that you cannot see the uefi bios screen when you have connected the board with the DVI connector, it MUST be a VGA connector otherwise you get a blank screen after the A3 code when you try and access the bios. The A3 code does appear on the screen by the way, as if to tease you into ignoring the cable connector as the source of the issue - typically called a red herring in murder mysterys.) Once the VGA connector is used the motherboard is happy to access the bios and the debug codes chug away merrily to their end.

Comment

Re: asrock extr3 gen3 cannot enter uefi bios

See if there's an updated BIOS for that board.
      My 880G Pro3 did exactly what you're describing until ASRock released a new BIOS.

Bill
      My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
      AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
      M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
      Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
      Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
      Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
      Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
      Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
      Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
      Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

Working...
      X