Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock extreme3 gen3 video card problems

hi there,

i just purchased an asrock extreme3 gen3 motherboard toghether with an i5 2500k processor.
    the issue i'm having is with the dedicated video board. i own a powercolor 6870 pcs+. the video card worked flawlessly in my previous build.

i'm using the video card in the top slot. however, no matter the setting i set in uefi as primary grafics adapter (onboard, pcieexpress) , the video is outputed from integrated connectors on motherboard and the 6870 does not appear in the device manager.

i tried a clear cmos once with the monitor plugged in the 6870 , i had signal on monitor, go into windows but on first restart the signal is sent again trough the integrated vga. in uefi the setting primary adapter is still "pciexpress".

i will try a bios update when i get home & move the 6870 to bottom slot (but this is not solution, if I don't find a way to make the top slot work i'll rma the card ).

anyone with similar issue ? please help me enjoy christmas :)

best regards,
    cristi.

Re: asrock extreme3 gen3 video card problems

pm emily,you might need a custom bios to get your graphic card recognized

Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      pm emily,you might need a custom bios to get your graphic card recognized

View Profile: ASRock TSD - Emily - TweakTown Forums
      thank you , i just did.
      in the meantime i returned the motherboard to the vendor that gave me a new board same model. it worked for about an hour -> then the same issue :|

merry Christmas asrock !
      a happy customer

Comment

I'm having the same problem with my Extreme4 Gen3. Updating the BIOS to 1.1 didn't change anything.

Comment

still might need a custom bios,different to 1.1 bios,depends whether they have included that video card into 1.1 bios or not
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

still might need a custom bios,different to 1.1 bios,depends whether they have included that video card into 1.1 bios or not
            if the motherboards are broken -> very bad for asrock because i have the same problem with 2 of them so far.
            if there is need of a "custom" bios is even worse. we all do not own "experimental" or prototype video boards, we have regular boards, i would say that mine (6870) is actually old by it standards :)

now i only hope that the vendor maintins he s professionalism and let s me swap the board with other manufacturer. i took a chance with asrock and it seems that I was wrong.... :(

Comment

it depends whether asrock have tested with a 6870 graphic card or not,if not then they will test and write it into the bios,thats asuming its not a mb problem ect,they cant test with every piece of hardware out there so its to be expected with new mb's

in the meantime you could remove mb battery for 30mins or longer to fully clear the cmos,then put back in and try
              you can also clean your graphic card gold contacts with alcahol or a pencil erasur to make sure its making good contact with the mb
              Last edited by wazza300; 12-24-2011, 04:27 PM.
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

it depends whether asrock have tested with a 6870 graphic card or not,if not then they will test and write it into the bios,thats asuming its not a mb problem ect,they cant test with every piece of hardware out there so its to be expected with new mb's

in the meantime you could remove mb battery for 30mins or longer to fully clear the cmos,then put back in and try
                you can also clean your graphic card gold contacts with alcahol or a pencil erasur to make sure its making good contact with the mb

the video board works on another mb (asus p5ql pro) with 0 issues and it has for more than six months.
                also on the first motherboard i recieved the video board worked great on the bottom pci express slot (and it might work also on the second mb).

i will try the custom bios if i receive one soon (i doubt it being christmas and all).

about the battery removal:
                doesnt the clear cmos button on the back of the mb does the same ?
                also im not sure about the battery removal, i remember a few years back having an issue with a password protected bios. i removed the battery for 24 hours and the passowrd was there afterwards. to reset the bios i had to place a screwdriver where the battery was and connect the battery "connectors". only that way the bios was reseted.

I appreciate your answers very much, thank you!

Comment

aslong as your mb bios isnt password protected or you know the pw then you will be fine
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                  X