X79 Extreme9 overclocking issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79 Extreme9 overclocking issues

I have used the auto overclocking to 4.4 Ghz and it works fine. I ran prime 95 for 5 hours without issues temps were ok, but then after powering off the system and it sits off all night it will not boot again the next day. It is the exact same problem the reviewer for this board had over at Anandtech.

I'm struggling to overclock on manual mode also. I usually just start with bumping up the multiplier until it will not boot. Doing it this way I can barely achieve 4.0. I've read tons on the SB-E chips overclocking, most don't even have to change defaults until 4.4 or 4.6. Running the memory with XMP 1.3 at rated speed of 2133 (stock)

Not sure if this is because I have the new stepping of the 3930k or not or if the BIOS isn't mature yet?

New to overclocking on Sandy Bridge - coming from a I7-920 which was fairly easy to OC. Some of the voltage settings are new to me and some are called different things than other board manufacturers use.

All I want is to hit 4.4 or 4.6 on this chip with the power management features enabled. I use it mostly for gaming so stability is more important than just passing a few benchies.
    Last edited by slayer68; 02-18-2012, 12:44 PM.

Re: X79 Extreme9 overclocking issues

which bios are you using?

SB-E definitely doesn't take much to get decent results. So far the only issue I've ran into with the extreme9 has been an issue with the temp sensors incorrectly posting temps but the latest beta bios has resolved that issue.

The new cpu stepping definitely isn't the cause of your issues as long as you are at least using the latest stable or beta bios. I myself am running the 3930k C2 stepping as well and am smoothly running 4.6ghz w/1.31v.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
      which bios are you using?

SB-E definitely doesn't take much to get decent results. So far the only issue I've ran into with the extreme9 has been an issue with the temp sensors incorrectly posting temps but the latest beta bios has resolved that issue.

The new cpu stepping definitely isn't the cause of your issues as long as you are at least using the latest stable or beta bios. I myself am running the 3930k C2 stepping as well and am smoothly running 4.6ghz w/1.31v.

I'm using 1.90 shipped with the board , didn't see any newer or beta version on their website?
      Could you share some of your BIOS settings? Not a lot of people are posting about this board yet so I would like to see what others are using to get their OC

Comment

Found a 1.98C beta BIOS (wonder why its not on their official list) Anyways after installing that it became a lot easier to overclock. I was able to go to 4.6 with the preset profile but it was running my vcore too high for my liking (1.45) so I switched to manual and got to 4.4 stable with no overvolting at all. Ran prime 95 for about 4 hours with no errors and tested a bunch of games. No crashes at all. Seems like 4.6 is the tipping point for my chip to where I need to start adding voltage. 4.4 provides a good speed boost for games when I'm running on 3 monitors compared to stock. Not really much need to go beyond this for me now until I get some faster graphics cards....

Comment

Getting to 4.6 will prob only take about 1.35v-1.38v. if you plan to go to 4.6+ consider upping the vccsa to about 1.85 (default is 1.81) for added stability. So far I've left my LLC at Level 3 which should be fine for now.

I've played around with 4.8/4.9ghz and can seem to get away with about 1.40v-1.42v but i haven't thoroughly tested it yet but if I decide to stick 4.8+ I will probably set it to Level 4 or 5 (Level 1 being the highest setting). TBH though, 4.6ghz is more than enough for regular usage. So 4.4ghz should be ok to stick with.

Your GTX 480's are already pretty good for most games maxed out so why are you considering upgrading?
          Last edited by Crazypinoy9; 02-20-2012, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
            Getting to 4.6 will prob only take about 1.35v-1.38v. if you plan to go to 4.6+ consider upping the vccsa to about 1.85 (default is 1.81) for added stability. So far I've left my LLC at Level 3 which should be fine for now.

I've played around with 4.8/4.9ghz and can seem to get away with about 1.40v-1.42v but i haven't thoroughly tested it yet but if I decide to stick 4.8+ I will probably set it to Level 4 or 5 (Level 1 being the highest setting). TBH though, 4.6ghz is more than enough for regular usage. So 4.4ghz should be ok to stick with.

Your GTX 480's are already pretty good for most games maxed out so why are you considering upgrading?
            I still don't have a good grasp of the LLC or how to use it so I leave it alone :) Running great at 4.4Ghz, core temps hover around 58C VCore @ 1.26, VCCSA seems to default to 1.85 with full load using prime 95 small FFT's.
            Ran through most of my games the 480's seem to be just fine for now... Even while running at 6060 x 1080 bezel corrected. Think I will hold onto them for a while longer.

Comment

I cant get over 4.4ghz either... If I want to run 4.6ghz I need like 1.45vcore where 4.4ghz is still using stock 1.25-1.3vcore.

Alot of my overclock attemps end witha blue screen 0x9c error. I also freeze and the windows loading screen. But when i'm in windows I can clock further using the tuning utility and no voltage change? Seem that when my systems starts/booting it needs "a lot" of vcore :(

Really wonder what my probs is...
              |[email protected]|AsrockExtreme9|16gigVengence|LianLiA 71|CustomTripleExternalWaterbox|HCP1200watt|3x27"|2x6990cfx|120gbVertex3+256gbSupertalentSSD|48Tb|G19|RAT9|Lo gitechZ5500|LogitechG35|

Comment

Working...
              X