Intel Q9550 + P45R2000 OC- need help @ 3.6Ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Q9550 + P45R2000 OC- need help @ 3.6Ghz

Hi guys,I'm kinda new to overclocking, but I've been reading a LOT of :stuff: lately ...at the moment, I'm stuck

Hardware:
    MoBo: AsRock p45r2000
    CPU: Intel Q9550
    RAM: Kingstom HyperX 4x 2GB DDR3 1333 CL9
    Cooling: arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
    GPU: Saphire Toxic Radeon HD6850

I've set motherboard jumpers to 1600mhz FSB as writen in manual... So that makes 400mhz FSB for my CPU, multiplier 8.5 = 3.36 Ghz.
    I've changed the mobo pins, so that my ram would still be at 1333mhz. At this point, everything is OK, CPU fully stable under load, 38 degrees
    celsius idle, never exceeds 65 degrees on load: 3.4 Ghz @ CPU. At the moment, I've managed to get FSB DRAM ratio to 1:1 (with BIOS setting
    for DRAM frequency on AUTO) and now I'm running at 430Mhz CPU bus speed = which makes a total of 3616 Mhz for the CPU.
    But it is not as stable. BSOD in games... and even on 420Mhz @ CPU bus it makes a lot CTD...

Prime95 gives up on first two workers right after start.
    Intel Burn Test gives an error after less than one minute.
    Here are my settings:

Link:http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...2150/Q9550.jpg

Well, most of them... If you need info from BIOS let me know.I know that Q9550 is easy to OC to 4.0Ghz.
    I would like to make it stable @ 3.8 Ghz... if it's possible in any way. Any suggestions, help, I would be really grateful.

Thank you.
    Last edited by zip2150; 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM.

Re: Intel Q9550 + P45R2000 OC- need help @ 3.6Ghz

Ive no experience on clocking 775 cpus on asrock boards or clocking 775 cpu's with ddr3 memory but my second pc (see sig)

I now run at 3.8 (x 8 multiplier) with a 475 ref fsb.
    the voltages are down a bit from this post, cpu 1.32v in bios, mch like 1.34 v , ram 2.01(higher than ddr3 of course) v etc.

I took some of my fans out , have a different psu in n didnt need to run it as fast anymore but the post itself might give some idea of the voltages needed.

I had to open out the memory timings above 450 fsb ref but its ddr2 so that may not be of interest to you.

I installed a 13. XIGMATEK Porter N881 Chipset Cooler Review - YouTube with a 80mm fan for the northbridge (its still in there , but probably isnt needed now)

edit:
    One good thing is you can clock the memory ,cpu and fsb seperately
    Try and see what
    1. the memory will do if you keep the cpu on a low multiplier.
    2. how high the fsb will go if you open out the memory timings a little
    In my experience about 25 mhz fsb speed increase cancels out the speed drop of opening out the memory timings one figure.

Since the asrock forum here started long after the 45 chipset came out , there may not be many old posts from rockers.

There are quite a few in the gigabyte forum but once again not that many using ddr3 memory
    If you check there posts by"Chilke" and "ProfJim" are plentifull on 775 cpu's , 9550 clockers like "Conners","Acebmxer"(before he changed systems) etc

edit2:
    There are lots of performance progams but dload maxxmem2 its a good guide, in the sense that:
    (a) the 45 chipset as standard will give around 7-8 mb/s data transfer rate
    (b) with cpu overclocks and increased fsb and memory speeds you can get maybe 10-11 mb/sec. think of 10 as a practical limit..
    1:1 is obviosly as low as you can set the memory but if the cl 9 timing is too tight , and you are getting near a 10 mb/sec transfer rate, it might be preventing any further cpu speed increase.

Moving the memory out to 10 or giving the memory or mch a slight voltage incerease might allow a higher cpu speed, n so on.
    Last edited by kick; 03-03-2012, 05:38 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
    X