Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When PCI ATA RAID Card installed no POST, when removed POST

Hello!

I bought an Asrock Z77 Pro3 mobo along with a Speed Dragon PCI RAID card. I want to use my already well working PATA devices, this board only got SATA ports this is why I bought this card for the purpose of being a PATA controller. I don't have any SATA devices.

When I insert the ata-card and turn the PC on I get to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. Even if I don't have any IDE-device connected to the ata-card only purely the card is inserted into any PCI slot, there is no POST I can not reach either the motherboard BIOS nor the card BIOS. When I remove the ata-card everything seems fine, I can boot into the mobo BIOS.

The ata-card is not faulty because I tested it in my well-working system and I was able to enter its BIOS upon boot.
    The PCI-slots of the new motherboard not faulty either because I tested with a PCI network card and it appeared in the BIOS.

The ata-card is compliant with PCI specification revision 2.2. I would like to know the PCI revision of the Z77 Pro3 board but I don't find any information about this.

I read in the manual of the ata-card that on some motherboards it needs the boot-order to be set to SCSI. I don't think this matters at this stage, the card should appear in the BIOS regardless of what I put on it. But I can not change any boot-sequence under Boot menu in the mobo BIOS such settings do not appear.

I also tried disabling SATA controller, tried different PATA cable (that was put near the ata-card), set the only PCI-related BIOS-setting 'PCI ROM Priority' in BIOS, also I waited for long time (several minutes) at the black screen thinking the ata-card might need more time to pull itself together all of these with no result.

Any ideas?

Re: When PCI ATA RAID Card installed no POST, when removed POST

I will answer my question for a certain extent. According to this PCI Card BIOS Problem (IT8212F) discussion probably the problem is that the BIOS of the RAID-card and the BIOS of the Z77 Pro3 board are not compatible. There are further links at the bottom of that page on how to flash another firmware into the ROM. Since I don't have floppy, DOS and determination to flash ROM I will possibly buy another type of RAID card or try to replace this with another one.

Comment

Working...
    X