Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme4 z77 Network Port Not Working (2nd Board Now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme4 z77 Network Port Not Working (2nd Board Now)

So, I can't get my board to load up the network. Everything else works. It's enabled in the BIOS, i tried the driver on CD, one from ASrock site, and even the beta one from the ASrock site.

I just get in windows either a spinning circle at the bottom right notification bar for network, or a yellow !, or it connects to an unidentified network, or it says I'm connected and i can't goto any websites or anything.

When it says i'm connected I try to ping google.com, it drops 50%.

The first one I returned because it was dropping (i could see on my switch, the light would show activity for a few seconds, then none, etc)

On back, port is constant blinking green with a red/orange solid light.

using windows 7 x64

UGGGHGHGHGHGHHHHH

Can someone offer help with this?
    Last edited by Matt Weist; 09-17-2012, 10:35 PM. Reason: update info

Re: Extreme4 z77 Network Port Not Working (2nd Board Now)

Well, I have two of these boards, and the Broadcom network chip has worked fine for me on both of them.

The driver is essential for this chip, Window 7 did not have a built in driver for it. I know you tried drivers several times, so just say'n...

Do you have the XFast LAN software installed? I used it on one board, and not on the other, and it is unnecessary and may be causing problems for you if it has some bad setting in it somehow. Uninstall if you have it running now.

Did you check the settings in Network in the Advanced Options in the UEFI? Mine are now set to:

Internet Setting is DHCP (Auto IP), and UEFI Download Server is USA.

One board I had was set to Asia as the UEFI sever, if that even makes a difference, but I changed it to USA. If you're not set to DHCP, try that.

Is Smart Connect enabled in the UEFI? Mine was by default, and I have no need for that so I disabled it. Apparently it goes on the Internet and PCs on a LAN to sync things up, yet another silly (IMO) option, disable that one too.

Comment

No I don't have the Xfast stuff on at all.

In the BIOS i changed that, but don't think that has anything to do with it.

As for Smart Connect, don't know, it's whatever is default. So it's probably on. I'll turn it off, doubt that would be causing problem in Windows 7

The thing is the Solid Orange/Amber light on the network port, I'm pretty sure that means there is a problem with the port, not sure, NOTHING in the book for the board.

Comment

I've also tried connecting it straight to router, there is nothing.

I've turned off Windows Firewall completely in Windows 7.

This is a fresh install, just installed the drivers.

Comment

is there a number for support to ASrock, or just the web email thing?

Comment

Page 14 of the downloadable manual shows the network port. Two LEDs, one top, one bottom:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASR LAN port.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	753313
            What do you see when you click on the Windows Network icon, you mentioned in your first post. Click it once and then click on Open Network and Sharing Center. If it is visible, click on Local Area Connection for the status of the network connection. Did you configure the network as a Home network in Windows?

Do you have broadband of a DSL connection?

Comment

It shows "Unidentified Network (Public Network). Access Type: No Network access. Connection: Local Area Connection"

If i run the diagnostic tool it does nothing.

I have several devices, 2 other computers, a wifi router, ps3 and tv all on the same network and it works perfectly fine on everything.

I'm about to either just return this motherboard (AGAIN) and get something else. Or just going to go get a Network Card. Ridiculous that I can't use the built in one.
              Last edited by Matt Weist; 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM. Reason: updated

Comment

Have you tried using different network cables and router ports?
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

indeed. tried that. tried bypassing switch (i have WD Livewire, that works fine as other devices are fine).

when i bypassed the WD Livewire, connected directly into Verizon Fios Router I get nothing. No lights, nothing on the router or the ethernet port.

i looked in the Fios Router admin, all my devices show up connected, but nothing for the ASrock pc.

I am running a Memtest86 now, I saw one thread saying it could be memory, but don't know. it's 40% complete and no errors.

Comment

WOW, I can't believe how similar this users post is to my same immediate problem. I could have created the same exact posts except my Azrock motherboard is connected to a brand new and currently functional Net Gear switch and new R6300 Router.

Comment

Well, we never learned what the OP did about his issue, fixed it, new board, different board, etc.

In my experience, Network chips or cards either work great from the start, or don't, or are flaky and never get better. Perhaps ASR received a bad run of the BroadCom network chips, or something else in its circuit is bad. I do know you must install the Broadcom driver or it won't function at all, Windows 7 does not have a driver for it.

I would return the board, or get a cheap network card, for a test or replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X