Asrock Z77 Pro4-M BIOS Clock stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 Pro4-M BIOS Clock stopped

My windows clock is slow when I am using an application. When I go into my BIOS the clock is stopped all together.

When I first got the board I had an issue with the time running extremely fast skipping ahead hours into days, where I couldn't even change the clock. Changing the CMOS battery fixed this. A week or so later I noticed it runs slow but only while it is off or I am running an application. And just recently when I go into my BIOS the clock is stopped, which leads me to believe when the PC is off the clock stops as well. Booting back into windows and resync-ing fixes until next power down or major application is launched.

Is this a board defect?
    If it is I am still within my Return policy and would like to take care of it with Newegg vs ASROCK, but I also don't want to go through the process and be without a board for no reason.

I have all ready replaced the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS(redundant I know) to be sure. I have the latest P1.30 BIOS as well.

I also saw that newegg review with 1 person having that problem and another thread on another forum. But no solution.

Any ideas?

Re: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M BIOS Clock stopped

That is a strange issue, and it seems like the board is "eating" the battery, like there is a short circuit that drains the battery. I thought the battery was charged by the mother board, since I have old boards that have never had the battery changed after five years, and it is still fine.

Just some thoughts about this, do you have some extra power saving options enabled on your board, like EuP power saving, which some boards have? That reduces the power to the board to a bare minimum, and might not keep the battery charged. Do you turn off your power supply when you shutdown the PC? Could this be a power supply issue, where the 5V standby power to the board is not working correctly? Can you use Windows Sleep and wake the PC fine? That is a test of the 5V stand by power. Is the battery in the correct position, with the + side up? (sorry, but if it was put in wrong in the factory, how would you know)

You could have some kind of a short to ground (the PC case) with a cable or screw, very hard to find of course. I've never heard of this issue as a common, known problem. It could be a defective board.

Comment

I do unplug the unit daily to transport it as a micro atx unit but I feel like I've ruled this out of causing any issues by replacing the cmos battery multiple times.
      I haven't tried sleep mode in a while. I can I suppose to see what happens.

I checked for power saving options and saw none.

the batter is in plus side down I thought like it is on every board I've looked at recently (rounded side down). I thought about flipping it over ill check the manual so I don't hurt anything. if it was in wrong I don't think the bios clock would've worked at all to begin with.
      Last edited by kkooly; 09-19-2012, 05:52 AM. Reason: forgot to add

Comment

I'm looking at a battery I had left over when I bought some for another board. It has writing on one side, that is the wider, flat side of the battery, which I think is the opposite of what you called the rounded side. The rounded side has the black seam between the center area and the wider edge.

The wider side with the writing has a big + sign on it, so the rounded, smaller circle side is minus. Plus is up and minus is down on my ASRock board. Here's how yours looks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z77pr04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	753317

I may have misunderstood your description, but it looks like the battery is inserted with + up and - down.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          I'm looking at a battery I had left over when I bought some for another board. It has writing on one side, that is the wider, flat side of the battery, which I think is the opposite of what you called the rounded side. The rounded side has the black seam between the center area and the wider edge.

The wider side with the writing has a big + sign on it, so the rounded, smaller circle side is minus. Plus is up and minus is down on my ASRock board. Here's how yours looks:

[ATTACH]5127[/ATTACH]

I may have misunderstood your description, but it looks like the battery is inserted with + up and - down.
          That is how I had it installed. I think I am just going to RMA the board. I found a support phone number.

Comment

Had an issue with windows 8 where the bios clock would seem to loose time and behave oddly, when I went back to win 7 the problem persisted until I pulled the battery everything
            was running fine for over 2 weeks.

I could not believe it so went back to windows 8 ran fine for about 3 days then the issue started again, went back to win 7 pulled the battery everything once again ran fine for over a week now I have installed win 8 again due to the official release AND downgraded to bios version 2.00 as I read on another suite having the same problem after going over this version.

If it starts to happen again I will post here again, seems to be a bios issue not a clock issue form the other info hopefully now win 8 is realsed more users will have the asrock "Crazy Clock"
            and it will be fixed. awesome solid motherboard besides this issue.

No I'm not overclocking and yes I have changed the bios battery on this new board.

Comment

Working...
            X