PC won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC won't boot

About 2 or 3 weeks ago I upgraded most of my PC. I got an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, 3770k, and 8gb of GSkill 1600. I broke one of the pins on my cooler when removing it from the old mobo so I was using the stock Intel cooler. Last week I upgraded to a Corsair H80 and HIS 7870. I put the new cooler and GPU in 2 nights ago and now have problems. I had to move my DVD burner, 1 hard drive, and redo some wiring in order to get the new stuff to fit. When I booted up it just cycles, doesn't even make it to the splash screen. I keep getting two errors in the LED display area. Error 10 (PEI Core is started) and error 55 (Memory not installed). My memory is definitely installed. I have pulled both sticks out, switched sockets, flopped sticks, and whatever else you can do. I've emailed ASRock with no response so far. I don't have any other sticks or RAM to test with. Any suggestions?

Re: PC won't boot

When you were installing new hardware, did you first unplug the power supply cable from the wall outlet or from the back of the power supply? I do this any time I remove or install new hardware, even if I'm only installing an extra case fan.

Clear you CMOS by unplugging the psu cable from the wall outlet, remove your motherboard battery, and then place a jumper block on the CLEAR CMOS motherboard pins for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Reset everything back to normal and then try booting with only one memory module installed in the correct motherboard slot.

See if your system will boot and remain stable with only one memory module installed.
    If it works, use your system for a day to make sure that it's stable.
    Try this approach with each memory module, one at a time.

You need to post a detailed hardware list in your PC Specs that includes brand names and model numbers for each component.
    This includes all of the hardware in your system, including your power supply, computer case, keyboard, mouse, etc.
    We aren't mind readers!!
    Look at my signature and PC Specs to see the level of detail that we need.
    Right now I have no idea what specific memory kit you have.
    Is it 2x4GB? 4x2GB? Is it a matched kit? Did you buy each memory module individually at different times?
    Do you have a case speaker connected to your motherboard's header pins?

Your best approach will probably be to perform a minimalist boot following the suggestions in http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295897, post #5.

Just in case I haven't made myself perfectly clear:

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the PC Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: PC won't boot

I will update my PC specs as soon as I can figure out how.

I had the PSU unplugged and the computer laying flat on a table when I added the new cooler. Everything was as static free as I could get it and I never messed with the RAM.

I tried booting with just one stick and it boots fine. I did hold in the Clear CMOS button for a good 10 seconds before I booted with just one stick. BTW, I have 2 x 4gb of G-Skill Ares Ram, it came free with the MOBO. My PC will boot fine with either stick but only in the first 2 slots. If I put either stick in slots 3 or 4, whether singly or paired, it won't boot. I ran Memtest on both sticks in slot 1 and I get no errors. I guess my 3 and 4 slots died. That seems to be a somewhat common problem on this board.

Comment

Working...
      X