Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Channel problems

Hi Guys
    when i try to install my ram as dual channel(slot a1+b1) the pc will not boot , if i install them in slot a1 + a2 the pc runs fine
    the mem is brand new corsair xms3 cmx16gx3m2a1600c11

Re: Dual Channel problems

Sounds like the bios isn't properly setting your ram timings. Often when you use dual-channel the speeds would drop a tad to compensate with some boards if I recall correct. Try inserting only 1 stick and then manually entering the timings/voltages in the bios while also setting the memory speed/mhz to the lowest possible along with a 2t command rate. Then after saving the settings and shutting down, insert the other stick of ram and try booting then. If it works, you'll need to manually set the timings and the ilk to get both sticks properly running or at least booting.

Found that I had to do something similar when I used a mix-matched set of OCZ ram on my last build under dual-channel mode. Some boards may still have issues with 1t command rate as well on some boards with multiple sticks of ram inserted hence the suggestion for that. Let us know how it goes after and keep us updated. :)
    PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
    ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

Comment

tried to play a little with timings and mhz , but no changes , the cheap mobo is only happy when using single channal :-S

Comment

Originally posted by kmb View Post
        tried to play a little with timings and mhz , but no changes , the cheap mobo is only happy when using single channal :-S
        Well, if it helps, try checking to see if you have all memory interleaving options disabled. I know my partners DDR2 system had instabilities and issues booting as well with both enabled. It's worth a shot really since usually the interleaves aren't normally active nor effective without dual-channel mode. Basically, try disabling all performance/power-saving based options you can find under the memory settings and see if it helps as well. Something is causing it to not work and it's likely something innocuous that would seem harmless normally. Have you also tried resetting the cmos through the jumper on your board to reset everything back to defaults?

Further, have you tried using the other two slots on your board yet and see if it yielded any results? Could also be something as simple as one not being seated all the way.
        Last edited by Chozo4; 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM.
        PC: 'Scarab' - Model#'s+More
        ...Sometimes I'm scatterbrained and have trouble collecting my thoughts in a post.

Comment

not sure if i really know what i am doing here , but here are a picture of the dram options from biosClick image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-20 17.58.44.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	753335
          also i have tried to update bios and also using jumper to clear bios , i have tried all possible comboes with sockets

Comment

Your Corsair memory is not listed in your boards compatibility list. Random memory is likely not to work on the newer board/CPU pairs, as the memory controller is now in the CPU.

The XMP 1.3 profile 1 is showing a memory speed of 1400? That is strange, since it is rated at 1600, which should be set with the XMP profile. With the XMP profile selected, you are not setting things manually, that is the automatic memory speed setting method. Given that the memory is not compatible, getting it to work in dual channel mode will be difficult if not impossible.

Comment

sounds like i should get a new mobo at the same time as i get a i7-3770k cpu

Comment

Working...
              X